A new dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norrick

So 4 years ago, I found a stray pup in an apartment stairwell and I took him in. I didn't know anything about dogs, but he had some pretty big paws, and someone told me they grew into their paws. I always wanted a dog to take with me camping and hiking and possibly even hunting, but the problem is, my dog didn't really get much taller, he just sort of grew longer, and more hairy. My friends jokingly refer to him as the "sausage". Hes not nearly as bad as a dachshund, but hes got a long enough back to make him not so well suited to a long stride. When I see dogs run they seem to "gallop", where, my dog prances around like a gazelle. He is more like a cat than a dog to be honest.

Anyway, my girlfriend just got a puppy, and 4 years later, I know a bit more about breeds, and to my best estimate her dog is half black lab and half pit bull. Shelters around here try like all hell to not mention pit bull in the breed description because so many apartments have breed restrictions. If they can list it as a mix they will call it a xxxx mix, with the xxxx being the half that is NOT pit bull.

Anyway this dog was described as a lab mix, but the ears are all wrong for a lab. I think hes got some pit-bull in him. What do you guys think?
2010-02-18134934.jpg

2010-02-18134946.jpg

and this is her 4 month old lab mix next to my 4 year old "sausage". Right now he is about 30 pounds (up 3 pounds from 2 weeks ago).
DSCF0322.jpg

How big do you think this guy will get? His owner loves to camp and hike and I'm thinking it would be cool to get him used to a gun range as well. Some of the coolest dogs I've met have been at gun ranges.

Hes a stubborn little brat, but I remember my dog was too when he was a pup. Time will tell if it is a breed-temperment thing, or a pup thing. This dog is extremely treat oriented. He won't do a damn thing for you, but if he finds out you have a little piece of goodness for him, he will aim to please, and he aims high.

He seems to have a very high predator instinct. He wants to run after anything that moves past him. Inanimate objects, cars, people. He doesn't bite, but he can't spend 5 minutes without chewing on a toy or article of clothing. He's really A.D.D. The type of dog that chases his own tail, and tries unsuccessfully to fit as many objects in his mouth as he can, repeatedly dropping them as he runs out of space. He's got webbed feet, and although we've never taken him to any major body of water, he seems to love the sprinklers.

I figure a labrador, thats a good breed to take outdoors, but I don't know much about pitbulls. How is their temperment? I don't mean, are they viscious as some some people would have you believe, because I don't buy into that. What I am wondering is will he make as good as a retriever, considering all things (adult weight, build, temperment, etc.)?

TailGator

Like most veterinarians, I find bull dogs to be fine with people, but sometimes aggressive towards other dogs and sometimes prey motivated.

A good rule of thumb for adult weight is double the weight at four months of age.

And you better post some pictures of that dog wearing a holster or this thread is going to be closed.

Norrick

what is a holster? a leash?

he is indoors on the one photo and on the balcony in the other two. We never let him off leash in public areas.

ClayInTx

Gun shot training

Whatever the XXX mix is, those are two beautiful dogs. I like how the black one has one ear up and one ear down; gives him character.

It seems you might be sort of like me. I have a soft spot for any stray or abandoned animal.

One thing I’ve never tried is to teach a dog to not be gun shy. Perhaps some trainers or experienced dog owners can help with info on this.

I know that an untrained dog is many times absolutely terrified of a gun shot, or any similar noise.

ActivShootr

I would say you are correct with the lab/bulldog mix. As far as him being hyper and stubborn, he is a mix of two of the most hyper and stubborn breeds around. He will try you patience at every opportunity but he will also be a very loyal and loving dog.

As TailGator said, most of the bulldog/terrier breeds are agressive to other dogs but won't bite humans unless the are trained to or are cornered and feel threatened.

Take him to the range to make sure he's not gun shy. :)

Part Lab I can agree. the shape of the eyes medium stop, and cheek/jawline shows signs of a Lab. The black color points to it, also. The moderately deep chest and longer legs leads me to believe it's a field Lab instead of a true Lab which is an English style. English Labs are the breed standard with shorter, thicker legs regarding their bone structure. Their height at the withers are about the same length as their back. Yours doesn't quite fit that portion, but leads me to believe it points to the other half of the breed...

Part pitbull I disagree. Staffordshire Terriers have extremely broad and muscular shoulders and chest. The head woud be wider and eyes set differently. They don't have long legs and back like your dog, either. The temprement of your dog being stubborn doesn't fit the description, either. Contrary to popular belief, Staffordshire Bull Terriers are highly intelligent, easy to train, and are willing to accept training.

Now, one thing to note: When breeds are mixed, the health and temperement traits can be thrown out the window quite often. You can only make a best guess at unkown mutts. Another item to suggest is it's possible that your dog may not be bred from two different purebred dogs to make him a half & half. If so, then without doing any research, my first guess at the other half of your dog's breed is a Whippet or Italian Greyhound. They're sighthounds which describes his nature to chase after anything he sees along with the slim yet muscular physique. The intermingling of the style of ears between the two could very well explain the nature of how they set in your pics.

I would highly recommend AGAINST taking that dog to ranges until you get him under absolute control. There's nothing more distracting and frustrating than people bringing their dogs to gun ranges....especially when you're in the middle of a firing session and you get a stranger's Fido jumping up on you. Rude and unsafe to say the least.

EdInk

I own a purebred ADBA APBT with very good bloodlines. Her Maternal side
Grandfather was Big Thicket Kennels Grand Champion Ajax (2001 Dog of the year). My little girl's family tree is a demon's resume of Gr. Ch. And Ch. dogs mostly from Big Thicket, Sorrell and some other top-tier southern kennels. That said, I am 100% against dog fighting. I bought my dog because I was unable to find a rescue pitbull that would have worked out at the time.
(Always try a shelter first but be aware of bad temperment in poorly bred dogs.) Well bred pitbulls will not be human aggressive. Animal aggression is easily detered or increased depending on socialization and training during puppyhood.

I have helped rescue pitbulls, actively fought to increase penalties for
dog fighting, and encourage eveyone who is not a professional breeder with proper facilities (my dog's kennel had A/C in the dog houses for God's sake) and the ability to properly care for the dogs medical, nutritional, and physical needs during those first few weeks.

Your dog has some APBT in it without question. That is the part of the dog which will game, stoic and determined. The brick shape nose and squared head are a dead giveaway. APBTs are great pets as long as they are socialized and you are consistent in training. They are naturally good dogs for children because they are very tolerant to pain (so when junior pulls the dogs tail the dog won't be annoyed and bite like other breeds) and they bond strongly to their owners. Dogs are pack animals and will figure out there position in the pack this includes among the people in the house too. Keep in mind they are a physically strong breed and will be protective of weaker pack members (they are among the best babysitters in the dog world).

Your dog MAY try to establish dominance over the other dog but this natural. You have nothing to worry about simply because of the pitbull genes.

As much as I love dogs, and I prefer the company of a dog to any human I've ever met, this subject is off topic.

I hate to have to close it, but...

Oh, my take?

Part lab, part Boxer.

Status
Not open for further replies.