A new addition. S&W 6906

twhidd

Well I've worked my butt off 7 days a week for the last 4 months trying to pay off some bills. I told my wife that I wanted to add a new one to my collection. She says "Go ahead. You deserve it". I own several Smith & Wesson revolvers but this is my first Smith auto. I can't wait to see how she shoots. So what do you think? Brand new for $499. Did I do OK?
attachment.php

Attachments

• new pics 029.jpg
    new pics 029.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 7,077

scoobydoo6906

do you want an honest answer? you payed about a $100 to much probably if it was used. if it was new you would have got a deal on it, I am pretty positive they don't make them any more. they are great guns for the money. you can get a 59xx series mag for it and put a +2 extension on it and it makes it like a part of the grip. plus it holds 15, the +2 extension really does not add any rounds. its hard to explain, hold on I'll post a few pics give me a minute.

scoobydoo6906

the first is the piece you need, email s&w they can tell you the part#. the second is it on a 59xx series mag, third is it in the gun. on an other note it easier to conceal the gun with the 59xx series mag in it.
DSCN0416.jpg

DSCN0417.jpg

6906-6.jpg

SouthpawShootr

There's going to be a bunch of people stopping in to say they bought a PD turn-in for $250. The one you have looks much better than 99% of the PD turn-ins on the market. If it's as clean as it looks, no you didn't do badly IMO. I have one that has no wear on the frame and was a PD turn-in. Paid something like $425 altogether. I got it maybe 5 years ago. My father has a NIB, never fired, never field stripped 6906 he bought from a dealer right before these guns were discontinued. That one, I would expect, would fetch in the $500 range easily.

Enjoy your new (to you) gun and don't put too much stock in those who say you paid too much. Water under the bridge anyway, right. :D

Oh, and those 5906 mags with spacers are definitely nice to have. I've got four of them myself.

SouthpawShootr

This will become one gun you will always want to keep.

Oh, absolutely. My first S&W 3rd generation was a 6904. Put a few thousand rounds through it. Very accurate and I don't remember it ever malfunctioning. I sold it to my dad when I just had to have a Colt Officer's ACP. Always meant to replace it, but it was discontinued before I got around to it. Instead I ended up with a nice used one, but if my dad every sells his new one, I have first dibs on it.:D I regretted getting rid of my first one almost from the time it left my hands. Just lucky I found my second one.

Nice

You have a nice pistol there. It looks like it's in great condition to. $499 may be a little high, but who cares. As long as it's reliable and you're accurate with it, that's all that matters.

I was once issued a 5903. It's the full size version of the 6906, but with an alloy frame. It was a good gun, never jammed, was easy to clean, and I could hit what I needed to hit with it.

Yes, the steel frame Smith semiauto has declined in popularity in many circles (LE). But that does not mean that it has stopped being a well made gun.

Enjoy your purchase.

Muddflap

$499.00 brand new ain't bad. That's pretty much what they go for, when you can find them, in my neck of the woods. You can buy a PD turn in cheaper, but I would rather have new. S&W also has a great lifetime warranty. Look around on the S&W forum, and you will find out they are an excellent gun. When one comes up for sale, it doesn't last long.
I have a 6904, the blued version, and it has been perfect. All it needs is a lighter hammer spring.

twhidd

So whats the deal. Some people are suggesting it's a police trade in. If it is a trade in then the thing looks like it was never used. The dealer I bought it from had 3 just like it. And he said they were new. I realize now that Smith doesn't make them anymore. Is it possible that I have some kind of factory refurb?

SW40F

You did just fine.

Some dealers keep guns in the safe for years, and they are still new when they sell them. The gun looks fantastic and unblemished, and for a new gun the price was not too steep.

You bought this gun as a reward for all your hard work, and it will continue to reward you long after this thread dies out.

18DAI

That 6906 looks like the last production batch. The fired casing envelope should have a recent date on it.

At $499 I don't think you did bad at all. Locally a nice clean used 6906, when you can find one, brings $425, with one mag and no box. So your in that one right, IMO.

Great pistol. Light weight, accurate and supremely reliable. If it ever appears on the cover of a gunrag, you will get twice your money out of it.

Enjoy! Regards 18DAI.

Laserlips

S&w 6906

FWIW:

I think you did just fine @ $499.00, here's why.

I bought a NIB S&W 6906 from CDNN a month or two back for $399.99. But it only came with one 12rd mag, shipping was $22.50 (approx.) and my friendly FFL transfer dealer got $25.00 for handling the paperwork.

So, in reality I paid almost $450.00 for my 6906 and had to go thru more hassle.

But, another reason why I think you did just fine, price-wise, is because CDNN DOESN'T HAVE ANY MORE... ;)

Apparently the 6906's are in high demand, so whether you paid $45-50 too much doesn't amount to a hill of beans because you HAVE your 6906 and I guarantee you there are other folks out there right now looking for a NIB 6906 w/Lifetime warranty and would be more than happy to pay what you paid.

As the other poster said regarding the 5906 15rd mags in the 6906 w/grip+2 that's a neat option I think.. In fact I ordered extra mags when I bought my NIB 5906 a short time after the 6906 and SW has the grip+2, but on backorder.

CDNN still has (or had) more NIB 5906's in stock so I picked one up, and have a set of Crimson Trace Lasergrips coming for it. It has replaced my Walther P99/AS for home defense. The Walther is a very nice pistol, but I'm an old fart, I love CT Lasergrips, and my bride loves the way the 5906 shoots, and she never warmed up to the "death ray" look and feel of the fine P99/AS.

I'll probably be selling the pristine P99/AS pretty shortly as the 5906 is simply a better choice imo for home defense. In my home anyway..

Enjoy your 6906, you did well.:)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

100_9825.jpg

P.S. Look what else CDNN had available, NIB for $499.99 but wasn't advertising...

100_9811.jpg

Smaug

Seems like kind of a lot for an old design S&W auto to me.

The only S&W autos I ever considered were their 1911 and their P99.

But I think what is more important is whether it shoots well, shoots reliably, and that you like it.

Bring back some targets for it and let us know. ;)

Que

Seems like kind of a lot for an old design S&W auto to me.

There's nothing wrong with "old". Smith got it right years ago, that's all.

As to the price, it's just fine, all things considered. There's always going to be someone who paid less.

Laserlips

Smaug:

I guess perhaps the 3rd generation Smith & Wesson pistols are an acquired taste.

When you have the time, and if you have the interest, please use the "search" or "find" function on the gun forums for 3rd gen Smiths and see what you find. I can assure you that absolute reliability, very good self defense accuracy, and fantastic durability are the qualities of the 3rd Generation Smith & Wesson pistols that many folks appreciate.

For me personally my number ONE requirement in a personal protection firearm is RELIABILITY... I doubt any modern plastic gun has a better long term reputation for absolute reliability than the 3rd gen Smiths. Reliability is vastly more important to me personally than capacity, even accuracy. I want my defense weapon to work every time.

I've owned a 3913 since 1995. It has never burped once in 13 years. The 5906 and 6906 S&W pistols were standard issue to thousands of leo's for years and years, and had a fine reputation for excellence in service.

But what a person prefers in a firearm is strictly personal.. Subjective, not objective...

These 3rd generation Smiths have been discontinued.. I spoke to a senior Customer Service person before I bought my 6906 to ask him his opinion of the 3rd gen Smiths, and he said "they were the absolute best pistols Smith & Wesson ever made, or is making"....

I wanted to get all I wanted while the "getting is good".. And I found out the "getting is good" supply is thinning out very quickly on the new 6906's and 3913LS pistols already.

I've had a pretty good batch to compare them too.. Glock/Sig/HK/Beretta/Star/Bersa/Walther/KelTec/Browning/ect. and while each of those pistols had something to offer I liked, NONE of them as an overall package were any better, and generally not as good as the 3rd gen. Smith.

To give you an idea of MY personal love for these pistols, I have recently sold a Walther PPS to finance my 3913LS. I will shortly probably sell my Walther P99/AS (which is a fine pistol by the way) because my 5906 can do the same job as the Walther, but my wife shoots it well, and I can get CT Lasergrips for it, and not the P99..

Not trying to be a smart butt, or offend you, but I'm a senior citizen, and I've owned, or fired, a pile of pistols in my over half a century of owning & shooting them.. I know what I like, and I know how the 3rd gen Smiths compare to most of the competition..

I will admit that I have never considered the 3rd gen Smith pistols (I've owned) quite as accurate as say my HK P7, but they are absolutely self defense accurate, and the difference in accuracy between the fine P7 and the 3913 at self defense range is only in the size of the group in the X ring..

I can take a slightly larger group as long as that group resides in the ten ring.

Again, no offense intended.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Homerboy

I have a 3913 and love it. I would like a 6906 or a 5906, but the wife would kill me if I bought another gun anytime soon. I just bought ANOTHER Beretta 92. The 3rd gen S&W's and the Berettas are my two favorite guns. They share the same basic manual of arms, and I can hit whatver I'm aiming at with them. Enjoy the 6906. They certainly are in demand again.

By the way, I sold a Glock 26 for that 3913 and have never regretted it. Those 3rd gen. guns are super sweet looking (I think, anyway)

SouthpawShootr

So whats the deal. Some people are suggesting it's a police trade in. If it is a trade in then the thing looks like it was never used. The dealer I bought it from had 3 just like it. And he said they were new. I realize now that Smith doesn't make them anymore. Is it possible that I have some kind of factory refurb?

Certainly possible. My experience has been that S&W refurbs guns on individual basis but generally doesn't take whole batches of used guns and reworks them like Glock does. There's no S&W CPO program like Sig has. It's also possible that these are unissued pistols that were "spares." This sort of thing turns up quite a bit when agencies switch to new makes and models. Typically, there's a half dozen or more sitting in the armory that somebody forgot about and never issued. Another possibility is that these were sitting in a warehouse somewhere for years (they were discontinued in 1999) and somebody finally noticed them. My father acquired a HK P7M8 Jubilee that a distributor "found." A final (remote) possibiltiy is that it is factory fresh and a contract overrun from an agency order. S&W can and will do short production runs of some 3rd generation models if a certain number of guns are ordered. With many PDs issuing +P+ loads (which voids the warranty with aluminum framed guns LE or civilian), S&W has been discouraging these guns, but they are still issued by many PDs.

You could call S&W and see if they will tell you if the warranty has been registered. They might even be able to tell you the year it was produced and, if it is used, whether it went to a distributor or PD. If it truly is new then there will be a warranty card with the gun. A S&W historical letter will give you everything they have on the gun as far as production goes, but IMO it's not really worth the cost with a modern firearm.

BTW, I was implying that your gun does not look like a PD turn-in. I was trying to point out that most of the price critics would likely be basing their value on guns that were in rougher condition than the one you have.

jsbethel

I would imagine that the dealer that twhidd dealt with purchased a few new 6906s from CDNN when they were available and marked them up a bit - that's business!