a new .22 rifle.

xrageofangelsx

With Christmas coming and a few hundred to spare, I am inquiring as to what constitutes a good plinking rifle to pick up in .22LR. I have yet to experiment much with rifles and when googling, the Ruger 10/22 seems to be more consistent than any other rifle in my searches. Any of you recommend anything other than this rifle?

kirbymagnum

The 10/22 ruger is fun with the 25 round mags waste alot of ammo but worth it one thing i noticed about when i shot the 10/22 it never jamed or miss fired:D another good plinking gun is the marlin 795ss. semi auto is the onlly way to go for plinking

Trip20

I'm partial to the 10/22, but I have two friends who both love their Remington 597's. They're completely stock, and accurate enough. One thing they would BOTH gripe about regarding the 597: The Mags... they plain suck.

xrageofangelsx said:
Also looking for something with a lot of aftermarket parts. I know the 10/22 is good to go for that. Anything else out there?
Nothing is going to compare to the 10/22 in this arena (to my knowledge anyway).

Good luck with whatever you try. ;)

Leif

Since you stated that you wanted something with lots of aftermarket parts, I don't think that the Ruger 10/22 can be beat in that category. What sort of modifications do you want to make?

Even stock, the 10/22 remains a good plinker. There are many better .22lr caliber rifles and carbines out there, but it's still a good value, fits your budget, and shouldn't disappoint. I'm happy with mine. It's stock, but is the "International" (Mannlicher-stocked) version that recently was discontinued; it wears a Williams Fire-Sight Set that works quite well.

Other than the Ruger, the various Marlin and Savage bolt models should fit your price range, as well as the Remington 597. However, I don't have any practical experience with those rifles, so I'll leave comments on those to others.

deadin

Antbody else try one of these?

www.waltheramerica.com/g22.htm

I picked one up last year and they're a real kick to plink with. (They also never fail to gather a crowd at the range.)

Mine was a little finicky when I first got it, but after a couple of hundred rounds and a good internal cleaning, it has been trouble free. I've been shooting American Eagle HV and can hold an inch at 50 yds.
The manual says you have to take them to a 'smith to convert to left-handed use, but if you have any mechanical savvy at all, it's easy to do the swap over.

Dean

xrageofangelsx

I am looking for something semi-auto. As cheesy as it sounds, I'd like to pick something up for my son or daughter that I can pass on down to them. The 10/22 would seem more appropriate than the walther g22. maybe. who knows, i could always get both eventually. ;)

dfaugh

Marlin 60

Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Oh, did I mention the Marlin 60?

More accurate than any "out of the box" 10/22, will equal the CZs accuracy for less money.

No on believes how accurate mine is until they see me shoot it...

However, if you want to "tinker" with it, there's not alot of aftermarket parts available like there is for a 10/22...But there's no NEED to tinker with it....

cslinger

will equal the CZs accuracy for less money.

Them's fightin' words son. :D

My CZ452 Varmint will shoot extremely impressive groups at 100 yards and at 50 yards it is same hole monotony round after round. Anything 40 grain works about equally well.

I am, however, sure that you have a damn fine model 60 as well. Just messing with you.

The projectile accelerator in question
074603.jpg

The results at 100 yards with CCI Mini Mags. Sorry I am just not a very good shot and when I can stuff like this I get all giddy and stupid like. :D
081108.jpg

081109.jpg

Chris

colby

ruger 10/22

the ruger 10/22 would be the best buy for your money. but it all depends on what you are going to use the rifle for. if you simply want a rifle to toy with on the weekends, then the 10/22 is your best bet. it is true though, that the ruger 10/22 is not as accurate as the remington or marlin models right out of the box, but with some work and money a ruger 10/22 can surpass the marlin and remington in accuracy.

Te Anau

I'd get just about anything before I get a 10/22,they are overrated for sure.Look at Savage (semi or bolt),Remington 597,CZ,Tula,Marlin etc. Savage will be your best deal anywhere.

Hello123

You can't beat a 10/22 for shooting cans and wasting a lot of ammunition in a cheap rapid manner. It is a fun gun that can be tricked out easily. It is not as accurate as a bolt action. If the application is strickly a hunting/target gun, then a bolt action, if it is to have fun with/double as a hunting gun, then I would get the 10/22. Friend at the shooting range is a national champion siloutte (sp?) shooting and he shoot as CZ.

22-rimfire

Based on your stated requirements, I would say that the 10-22 is just about your only choice. The operable one being that you want to customize it and most other guns are not as suited for this purpose. I don't like the rotary magazine that Ruger supplies with it, but the plastic larger capacity mag just don't last long. I have a Ruger 10-22 with the walnut stock. Not my favorite 22 rifle. But for general plinking, it is just fine. Also, it can shoot rapidly and reliably which can be a kick every now and then to some.

My favorite for general use is a Remington 541S. I have long since gotten past the stage where I want to throw around a lot of lead and I have 22 pistols that do this quite well; in particular a Ruger Mark II Bull Barrel (Govt Model) among others.

Picher

Ruger 10-22 Deluxe is the way to go. The one that's sold at WalMart has a longer barrel that has nice balance.

I don't like the barrel band carbine models as they don't shoot as well that way.

You can spend a lot of money on a 10-22 to get it to shoot really small groups, or you can check out the Tips and Tricks forum of Rimfirecentral.com and learn how to do it right for practically no money. The 10-22 can be almost anything you want it to be, thanks to the hundreds of after-market parts available. It's kinda like the Harley, or Colt 1911 of .22 rifles.

I really like the Deluxe stock with a heavy barrel. The 10-22T is the cheap way to go and they can be made to really shoot well. Stainless is glitsy, but blue is true.

Picher