A neat find

deerslayer303

My brother bought these at an auction and gave em to me. .303 M63 plastic projectile. Neat little collectors item.
8cf626c790b9f5295aaac069dd4f0617.jpg

sgms

They are interesting, I've seen them before and have heard 2 different stories as to what they were used for. 1 is that they are for short range training, 2 they are used by the french for riot control. Do the back of your boxes have a stamp on the back in french? (see picture)

Attachments

• 303SECPLASTICbx.jpg
    303SECPLASTICbx.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 39

deerslayer303

They seem to have quite a bit of powder in the case. I sure wouldn't want to be apart of the riot the Gendarmes are trying to control. [emoji1]

sgms

Been doing some more digging and have found that F.N. produced 3 different calibers with that bullet .303, .30-06, and 7.62x51 m/m. The opinion seem to be evenly split between short range practice and riot control although with a listed powder weight of 15.8 grain of an unknown flake powder and a bullet weight of 12.1 grain seems, to me at lest, that the bullet velocity would be to high to be less than lethal.
The rubber riot rounds I have seen are much larger in both length and diameter with a very small propellant charge producing low velocity and have been proven to be capable of killing if they hit the head or directly into the chest.

TomADC

Those are neat, I did have some odd ball stuff with wood bullets. But I've never seen anything like that, cool thanks for posting.

sgms

Yes wood has been used in a lot of different ways in ammunition. Blanks, rifle grenade launcher blanks, shot loads, even for artillery drill rounds. the picture with the 6 .45-70 show some of the different uses the 4 on the left are all shot cartridges the fifth one is a small wood capped blank and the last one is a .45-70 Rabith a wood sabot on a small lead ball, i think it was for small game but do not remember at this moment. The other is a pair of 3 inch 50 caliber navy anti air practice rounds used for loading drill, the wood metal combo even had a practice fuse for fuse setting.

Attachments

• phpBCwg7lPM.jpg
    phpBCwg7lPM.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 38
  • php59UROWPM.jpg
    php59UROWPM.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 37

manowar

Those are Government Issue suppositories for use in the field by a soldier should he be afflicted with hemorrhoids.