A little S&W info please.

doubleaes2

I think that I have recently acquired an S&W .32 hand ejector. The gun is smaller that a J frame, appears to have a three inch barrel, round butt, and six shot cylinder. It is a DA revolver, and locks up pretty well well. It has four screws in the side plate, and one in front of the trigger guard. The grips seem to be made of black plastic, and are marked with the S&W logo. Serial number is 2360XX. The end of the ejector rod is larger than normal and is knurled. The underside of the barrel is also stamped with the serial number on a machined flat between the ejector rod and barrel. The firing pin is mounter to the hammer.

Thanks for reading this, and thanks for your replies.

rdtrash

yep

Thats exactly what it sounds like...my wife has one in 32 long that she calls "mommas little helper"

KC135

5th change?

Sounds like a 5th change hand ejector, made between 1910 and 1917 according to sn.

Ref: SCS&W

doubleaes2

Thanks you sir. I was given this gun by a co-worker. Apparently, he let it sit on the floor in his car, and the floor got wet. The right side of the gun had a bunch of rust on it that came off with CLP and steel wool. The finish on that side is obviously shot. Its too bad, this would have been a fine looking little revolver.

It's not a J frame.

Your gun predates the J frame by at least 2 decades, possibly more.

It's smaller than a J frame, and is known as an I frame.

Hammer It

It's smaller than a J frame, and is known as an I frame.

Hello
I agree with Mike Erwin on this, and to make it a bit more confusing S&W made an improved "I" frame in later production which was slightly larger, then came the-J-frame and later they switched again to a Magnum profile-J-frame. Often we get confused with the 4 different sized frames and unless they are all sitting together the changes are some times hard to tell apart:( Hammer it.

The most telling difference between the I and the Improved I frame is internal. The Improved I had a coil spring, whereas the I had the leaf spring.