A little bit of eye candy for you folks

Scorch

A few jobs I recently completed. Enjoy!

Remington 700 in fiddleback maple, absolutely beautiful piece of wood!
Maple7001.jpg

Winchester 1886 Lightweight Rifle XX Fancy American black walnut. That is a really nice piece of wood.
18862.jpg

Something a little less classic and a little more fun. Remington 700 single shot in 22-6mm.
700-22-6mm1.jpg

And finally, a nice little Winchester Low Wall.
BillsLowWall.jpg

Hope you like it!

Hunter Customs

Scorch,
I like all of them, beautiful work.
There's nothing like a fine piece of wood to compliment a fine firearm.
Thanks for the pictures.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Scorch

Thanks everyone for the comments.
Is that 86 a takedown? What caliber. What caliber is the 85? Did you do the case hardening and bluing?
The 1886 is indeed a takedown, it is an original Winchester 1886 Lightweight Rifle after all. Caliber was originally .33 WCF, the barrel has been rebored and rechambered to .348 Winchester. The wood was redone similar to Winchester factory design.

The Winchester 1885 Low Wall is a 22LR. I did the wood, John Taylor at Taylor Machine did the metal work, the bluing is done by another shop, the color case hardening is original factory.

hootey

Nice, very nice, quality work such as shown here, is very hard find these days. You are a true craftsman....:cool:

Scorch

Is that a Winchester A-5 scope on the Winchester?
I don't know. The customer took the pic after he had put the sights back on the rifle, and he is a better photographer than I am, so I used his picture.

FrankenMauser

That's a great piece of Maple.

I always talk about putting some good looking Maple on a rifle. But... when I see one, I always think the wood is too light.
Then again... I have been curing a giant chunk of Maple for 3 years, because I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It has a great Fiddleback section at one end, transitioning to straight grain at the other. I lust over wrapping that wood around one of my rifles. ...but I'll never do it. The color is too light.

My grandfather has an absolutely breathtaking piece of Bird's Eye Maple on a Springfield. It is simply amazing. ...but the color is too light for the rifle.

My father somehow snagged a fantastic piece of Fiddleback Maple (with some quilted areas) as a "factory second" a year, or so, ago. It looks amazing. ...but the color is too light for the rifle.

The Low Wall's wood is too dark, but makes me drool.

I have issues...

Scorch

I always talk about putting some good looking Maple on a rifle. But... when I see one, I always think the wood is too light.
That stock was almost white, about like basswood or tulipwood if you are familiar with those, much too light to see the figure or grain. Once you learn how, it is easy to bring out a little bit of color in a light piece of maple. If I had kept going it would look almost like highly figured walnut, but the customer wanted blond wood so that's what he got. So go ahead, don't be afraid of the light.