A hobby that saves a ton!

Yoosta B. Blue

Yesterday I reached the 30,000 round count on bullets that I've loaded since I began reloading in February 2008. I wasn't into casting the first year or so, but have cast the last 17,000 bullets or so. This morning I looked through my log book and added up what I've loaded thus far. (The first few months I didn't keep track of how many of what caliber. I just totaled the number of pieces loaded.) But since July of 2008, I've kept accurate records and I've loaded these rounds:

.45 ACP 8,050
9mm 6,400
.38 Spec. 5,250
.40 S&W 3,350
.380 ACP 2,400
.357 Mag 600

People often ask whether you can save money by reloading. I've read the answer many times posted on here that "you don't save money, you just get to shoot more." Perhaps that's true for many others, but that's not the case with me. I shoot about the same amount that I did before I started loading, and that has kept a bunch of money in my pocket. And besides that, it's very relaxing and satisfying! I'm lovin' it! :D

Shoot 'em straight!

Yoosta B. Blue

spacecoast

Congrats, you reload a bit more than me (750-800 rounds/month vs. 650 or so) but in the same calibers plus .40 S&W. Mine are skewed a bit toward .38 special (37%).

I think it's a combination of shooting more and saving, I probably wouldn't shoot as much if I didn't reload, but I wouldn't shoot that much less. It's a great hobby.

Yoosta B. Blue

The long and short of it is that I haven't conscientiously tried to figure out what I've saved, peetzakilla. I've been very fortunate to have been given a large quantity of wheel weights. And I mean a LOT. In addition, I was also in the right place at the right time, when a coworker was getting a divorce and sold me all of these reloading supplies for only $100.

http://www.freshonmymind.com/gunpowders/gunpowders.jpg

Some of that I've traded away for supplies and components that I needed. Aside from the $330 that I initially spent to procure my single stage press and dies, primers have been the lion's share of my expenses. So, however you figure it, I've saved a considerable sum. :D

YBB

g.willikers

If it weren't for reloading, the more expensive to buy calibers would have been out of reach, financially, and never experienced.

uncyboo

I was also in the right place at the right time, when a coworker was getting a divorce and sold me all of these reloading supplies for only $100.

I am an expert at getting divorced and my handloading equipment would be the last thing I'd sell.....:eek:

:D:D:D

spacecoast

These are the columns in my spreadsheet:

Date
Round count
Caliber
Bulllet used (manufacturer, shape and weight)
Powder
Powder weight
Four formula columns to track the total powder used by powder type
OAL in inches
OAL in cm (calculated)
Reloading cost per round (bullet+powder+primer)
Total cost (round count * previous column)
Purchase cost per round
Total purchase cost (calculated)

The difference in the sum of the total cost columns is the total amount saved.

Note - my rounds are all handgun rounds, the rifle reloaders tend, I believe, to track many more variables than I do.

Civil War Life

Great thread. I am pretty new to reloading myself. My problem is I work 7 days a week in my store so it is hard to get out to the range and I like reloading so much it is starting to pile up. I load 30-06, 223REM, 38 spl, 9mm and 45ACP so far. I also load a few 16 gauge black powder shot shells. I really like the database and will start one immediately. I'm not too concerned about the cost savings but I do believe I've save some. I got my press used from a friend for $10 and bought dies and a few other tools so I don't have a ton invested. For a while there primers were darn hard to come by and I paid too much for them including the hazardous Mtl charge but I couldn't get any locally. Most of my 30-06 brass has been given to me or have been range pickups. I fully acknowledge and appreciate the help and good advice I have received from so many unselfish members of this forum. I have learned a lot, and I mean a lot just by reading posts like this. You guys are the best.

Regards to all,
Terry

FrankenMauser

Thats excellent, and I love spreadsheets! Going to be busy this weekend. Thanks for the info.

I attempted to keep a running log book, a few years ago. It didn't last long.

I attempted to set up my own spreadsheet last year. I didn't get through the first load entry, before I gave up.

Maybe.... Maybe, if I got one of my spare (horribly outdated) laptops running, and kept it on the reloading bench... Just maybe, I would keep up with it.

Some people enjoy keeping detailed records; some people don't. I want to keep the records, but don't enjoy the process. If I could find an appropriate size of label for my printer.... Maybe I could integrate a label template into my spreadsheet, to print my load data after it's entered. ...That might get me to keep the records updated.

Maybe....

Civil War Life

If I could find an appropriate size of label for my printer....

I use a program called Labels Unlimited to print all sorts of stuff like business cards, return address labels and of course ammo box labels. It is a real inexpensive program, that you can buy on line. The nice thing is has just about every size label template you can find. Just go to Staples or some other office supply store and pick out a peel & stick label package in what ever size works for you and use the template for that size label. I am using a mailing label that is 1 inch by 2 1/2 inch. I make up my own label and save it then every time I need labels I just enter the bullet power, primer, date etc. and print out just as many as I need. Works great. If you want a bigger label for more data just pick out a larger label. I use small return labels with a simple 38 spl or 30-06 etc for the ends of the box so I can see at a glance what is in the boxes on the shelves.

ipscchef

Congratulations! That is a lot of reloading. I have probably done a few more than that, but over a much longer period. I doubt that I have done more than 8k since '08. before that, when I was competing, I would load about that many a year, but it has been a while since my legs "retired" me:(.

I wish I were meticulous enough to keep such accurate records. The only thing I have is my "Load Log", where I have most of my results for each caliber, with components, dates, velocity, SD, etc. This does help me to be able to get repeatable results and to be able to give out info to my reloading buddies info on what does or does not work for me.

Willy

TXGunNut

Records are nice, pretty sure I don't want to know how much I've "saved" by rolling my own because I spend my "savings" on tools and components. I've bought most of my stuff new and I'm always buying new stuff so I don't think I'll ever save a dime.
Reloading has let me go where I'd never be able to go with OTS ammo; like BPCR's and 45 Colt.