A Handier Barrel for the 11-87

Sarge

I’ve favored relatively short shotgun barrels for most of my life; but I couldn’t bring myself to cut the barrel of my old 11-87 Premier. I’d been shopping for a decent, light contour 11-87 barrel but they are bringing about what I’d give for a good clean 870. I saw a few 11-87 slug barrels around, but slug barrels have gas ports designed for heavy loads only. The sporting barrels employ ports designed for the self-adjusting gas system. I figured they would be more likely work with the full range of loads. I also have a strong preference for vent rib barrels.

Saturday, I went to a gun show and bought a 28” light contour barrel for 150 bucks. While not pristine, its little boo-boos were easily corrected with cold blue & 0000 steel wool. I cleaned it up & tried it on my shotgun; it slipped right on and my forend fit it perfectly. I ran a few field loads through the ‘new’ barrel and it functioned and shot fine. The used barrel had a RemChoke ‘full’ tube in it that patterns substantially better than the factory full-choke tube that came with my gun- so that was an unexpected bonus. I stowed that one for use with my 28” barrel.

I laid out the cut to land in front of a rib post and snugged the barrel in a padded vise. Nothing left to do grit my teeth & grab a hacksaw. The cut went well and I deburred the muzzle, inside & out, with a round handheld stone. I squared it first at 90 degrees to a sanding belt; and finally by filing across the muzzle ‘around the clock’. The barrel finished right at 21”.
87Short_4_zps05893b16.jpg

I attached ‘Winchester’ clip-on fiber optic front sight to the rib.
87Short_1_zps2e84605e.jpg

The gun ran a half a box of field loads and a half dozen slugs & 00 Buck without a malfunction. I didn’t miss any thrown birds with it and the first slug cut a 3” target dot at 25 yards. Olin MilSpec 00 Buck will stay on a B27, but it’s not tight by any means. I may, at some point, have an I/C TruChoke installed but I’m pretty happy with it as is.

jmr40

I've done the same to an 870. I think you will still find some issues with light loads. With gas operated semi's you need enough barrel length for gas pressure to build up enough to relably cycle the action. Heavy loads develop enough pressure in short barrels, light loads may not. As long as you stay away from some of the very light 1oz or lighter loads you will probably be OK.

I have owned a couple 11-87's over the years and had trouble with light loads from my 26" barrel. I was going to return it to Remington, but their tech's advised me that even 26" barrels were not as relible with low powered loads. That the 28" and longer guns were more reliable. After a little longer break in the problem did eventually go away.

Inertia actions and fixed actions like a pump are not dependent on barrel length to function.

Sarge

The lightest thing I shoot in any of my shotguns is the 1200 fps Federal 'Multi Purpose' Field Loads from WalMart. Fairly clean and they function real well.

Sarge

An update...

Given the widspread notion that shortened 11-87s are less reliable, I set this gun on in my enclosed back porch for a zero degree night. This morning I grabbed it and ran five equally-cold Universal field loads through it. The gun ran perfectly and to say I was pleased would be an understatement.