A Handgun Correction Target for the New Age

Sarge

I have penned a few articles covering the Basics of Marksmanship, the Importance of Zero and selecting a grip that works for you, regardless of what’s popular at any given moment. I’ve covered the accuracy we should expect from a service pistol and our rightful expectations that such an implement should require no ‘Break In’. I hammer this stuff out because deep in my heart, I genuinely believe that an armed and proficient American populace enhances not only its own security- but the security of the nation as well.

To gain that proficiency, there are absolutes:

* If If you aren't zeroed, you ain't hitting anything.
* If you aren't using a proper sight picture, expect the same result.
* A firm, consistent grip and solid shooting stance are required to maintain 1 & 2, and
* You can still screw it all up by yanking the trigger!

Of course all this requires work, commitment and some genuine effort on the shooter's part. Oddly, this don't sit well with many contemporary shooters. These poor souls jump on the internet, post tales of their accuracy woes- and they want to hear anything except basic marksmanship principles.

Some of the advice they’re getting makes me scratch my head, too. One good Samaritan replied that poor accuracy (at maybe ten yards) could be cured by taking awhile “to let the gun ‘break-in’ and naturally find its own impact point.” I guess that gun was just wishing the shots around and then one day, as if by magic, it starts cooperating? Silly me. All these years, I believed you had to confirm zero, align the sights correctly on the target and then press the trigger straight back without disturbing them.

Another favorite bit of 'expert advice' is to post a ‘Shooter Error Correction Chart’. These are useful in diagnosing problems with one-hand, precision shooting at 25 and 50 yards; but in my experience they are irrelevant for two-hand shooting at any distance. And of course, we don’t have a clue if subject pistol is zeroed- or the errant shooter is using a proper sight picture, grip or trigger technique.

But nobody wants to hear that. Today, shooters want a graph, chart or webpage to solve all their marksmanship deficiencies in 5 seconds or less. So in keeping with the times, I offer the following:

RealityTgt-1-1.jpg

PDF Version

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2011/01/shooter-correction-target-for-new-age.html

Last edited:

KenpoTex

Not bad...lol

Though, i think the center should read: "this is where I hit once I drifted the sight all the way to the side...('cause obviously the gun is screwed up and doesn't shoot straight)"

T191032

Bravo. :cool:

"The six o'clock position you should add that the tactical light is too damn heavy....."

Never shot a handgun with one of those tactical lights so that sounds good. LOL

Cary

You have won the prize!

Sarge,
You have won the prize! I only have so much room on the wall of my shop for this kind of stuff (funny & to the point). This one has been printed and is going up.:D

Cary

DogoDon

Great! :D

The "Zero: Wut Dat?" hits close to home because I recently bought a new SA Mil-Spec and in my first two trips to the range I was consistently grouping shots about 2 inches to the left of the bull. It never even occurred to me that a brand-new gun's sights could be misaligned--I was blaming myself (new gun with unfamiliar trigger, so I must be doing something wrong). But somehow the thought later occurred to me that perhaps I should check. Sure enough, the rear sight was off to the left about 0.7 mm. Who'da thunk?

Thanks!

DD

ELarsen

new (to the shooter) AR

This reminds me of a trip to a public range in the outskirts of Philly.

Young man and his buddies out for a day of shooting. One is shooting his new AR-15 look-alike. Some shots are on paper at 100yds, some not. Totally baffling to the young guy. {skipped the opportunity to shoot his new rifle at 50yds--went straight to 100}

I overhear the conversation and take a break from my shooting to watch his target with my binos.

Yup. Some shots on paper, others hitting who-knows-where.

I watch him to see if I see anything obvious that would be throwing his shots all over the place. Nope. Not obvious.

I tell the lad to pic a spot on the backstop to shoot and watch for the bullet impact. (the berm was a very large hill, so there was ample space to shoot above the row of targets into dirt.)

Yup. Hits all over the place.

He lays his rifle on its side to stand up and scratch his head and I hear a tiny rattle-type sound.

I ask him if he put the scope on himself after the purchase? Nope. It was on it when he bought it.

I asked if he made sure it was tight? Nope. Figured it was. Aren't all scopes on tight?

Didn't have to ask any more questions as his next move was to touch the scope...it wobbled visibly at his touch.

He and his buds packed up and left at that point. I think they came back on another day or went to another range -- no one around that witnessed their total confusion over what might be "wrong with the new rifle".

Sarge

I'm glad you guys got a kick out of this. I was just about half joking when I did it- but only half. It's worth mentioning here that some of my very own screw-ups appear on that target.

Several on other forums have asked if they could use it in club newsletters, etc. Feel free to print it, share it or shoot it. Link to the blog entry is here if you need it. If it gets folks thinking about marksmanship basics, it will have been worth the effort.

Thank you again for your interest and kind comments.