A great shooting experience

orsogato

I did my good deed for the day today. I was up at the rifle range after work doing some shooting. This kid (maybe about 9 or 10) and his grandpap show up. I was shooting my Garand, and M1A I brought up about 100 rounds or so for each gun.

This grandpap is up there with a .300 Win Mag.

Anyhow the kid keeps eyeing up my rifle (the m14) so I say "you want to try out this rifle kid"

"Does it kick?" he says.
This kid just got done shooting a .300 Win Mag!! I said if you can shoot that thing, this will feel like a BB gun.
So of course he says he wants to try it out.

So I proceed to go through the operation schpeel and the safety schpeel so grandpap knows I am not a putz and want to show this kid right. I spend a few minutes explaining the subtle differences between the guns to the kid. Show him the difference between a .30-06' cartridge and a .308 cartridge. I explained the sight picture, and I then made him dry fire it about 10 times so he got the fell for the trigger. I stressed to the kid that dry firing wont hurt the gun and HELPS you learn how to shoot.

Then I Let the kid have the rest of the bag of ammo (about 20 or 30 rounds) and let him have at it. I spotted his shots through my spotter skope. The kid was happier than a pig in s*&%. He was shooting pretty good groups too.

Grandpap was a bit skeptical at first said the kid had only shot scoped guns. I think he saw those iron sights and wasnt sure if the kid was going to hit the paper Once I started calling the shots out, grandpap was having fun with it too. The kid was banging them in there pretty good.

I think I just turned one of America's youth into a member of the "gun culture." I told him to tell his friends and teacher that he learned how to shoot an m-14 today. I wish I could see the expression on the (assumed) liberal teachers face!!!!!!!!!

YES! A MINOR VICTORY FOR FREEDOM LOVING GUN OWNERS.

Mal H

Staff
Reminds me of a young kid I read about, name of Henry Bowman. ;)

Good work, orsogato. Also good work grandpa, whoever you are.

orsogato

Hey Mal H, and Lucas

Thanks for replies. I never realized how much fun it is to show somebody how to shoot and use "evil nasty" "semi automatic assault rifles" and watch the delight on their face as they bang in round after round on a target.

I told the kid anytime I am at the range and he is there, let me know and ill let him shoot em.

The only condition,

THE KID PICKS UP THE BRASS FOR ME :)

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
orsogato,

You can pick up your Citizenship merit badge at the scoutmaster's office. :)

Downside: if the kid brags about his marksmanship prowess at school, you can damn sure bet he'll be under the microscope.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

orsogato

Hey Coinneach,

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I will be more mindful of what I say to kids after I am teaching them about shooting/ firearms etc. It is always thin ice that we walk on these days.

I was just so happy that this kid was having such a good time, sometimes I spit things out without thinking first.

Anyhow, I dont think the kid is going to turn into a mass murdere (knock on wood) He seemed very respectful of ALL safety issues at the range. Double checked the rifle before handing it back to me with bolt open etc.

As for me, I cant wait to find another young shooter to let him burn up my ammo. That is money well spent.

Outlaw1

Hi orsogato, I am a new member and had to reply to this great post.
I've got my own small shooting range (150 yds) built in my backyard. My girlfriend was keeping her 4 yearold nephew today when I was testing some new ammo with my M1A.
That boy was showing EXTREME interest in wanting to shoot! His mother won't even let him pretend he's got a gun. I think within a few years I'll make a marksman out of him, whether his mother likes it or not. Maybe she'll see the light that a kid that knows safety and is not so curious about guns will be the ones we DON'T have to worry about in the future!

flatlander

I shot in the state championship high power match this past Memorial Day weekend, and was disappointed to see only one junior on the line. At least his dad was showing him how it's done, 'cause he fired a 197-7X at 600. I took a couple of my nephews to our home club's reduced 100yd. DCM match this summer, and they had a blast. But the next month when I asked them to go along, they had other things to do. I guess maybe I've forgotten what it's like to be 17 and have girls to chase on Sunday afternoon, but I was still disappointed. Maybe next summer....

Patrick Seeber

Hey orsogato!

You inspired me...

My buddy and I bugged outta work early Friday to hit the range. We were shooting away and having some fun. A car pulls up and out climbs a father and some kids. They check out the rifle range, then head our way.

When they get close, I holler about hearing protection. They say hello, etc... They were just checking out shooting and never had shot - 1 Boy 10yrs old, 2 girls 9yrs old. Then something clicked - I said, ya wanna shoot today? They started jumping up and down! What a bunch of nuts! We drilled on the 4 rules of fire arms till they had it down well. Then it was time to shoot.

I gave the boy some muffs, my partner produced shooting glasses. Loaded up the Marlin 60 .22 and gave sighting instructions. Squeeze... and BANG no more bottle! Girls are going outta their minds! They want to shoot too! The boy finishes his 14 rounds hitting everything he sights on! (show off). First girl gets ready, second one isn't so sure this is for her... first girl squeezes... BANG - no more bottle!! (little buggers) Proceeds to shoot the bottle into little pieces. Last little girl - still uncertain - Squeeze... BANG - Bottle neck disappears! BANG - rest of bottle gone! After the first shot, totally HUGE grin on her face.

We whooped it up after every successful shot. They LOVED it! The father was very thankful and enjoyed watching his children do so well. Having taught my daughter to shoot I had a plan when I started... BUT this was probably the most fun I had all labor day weekend. Cost almost nothing, a little time, and I got to see 3 kids live a dream.

Finished out by telling them what to do if they encounter a firearm at some one's house or school, and sent them on their way.

Wanna bet Dad bought a rifle this weekend??? (grin)

Thanks orsogato for lending some inspiration. It was so much fun, I am thinking of ways to do it more often!

othermarc

You guys are Heroes. Don't be humble! What you have done here, in these crazy times, was nothing less than civic heroism. You have replaced fear with knowledge, and had a great time doing it! That is 3 more children in this country that understand safety and know what fun it is. And 1 dad, too.

I am extremely proud of both of you. I mostly shoot on private land, but I am envious of your experiences. Bless both of you!

[This message has been edited by othermarc (edited September 07, 1999).]

pete80

Kid is probably saving all his lunch money for an M1A as we speak! Should probably take him 50 years to do so!

HankL

Orsogato, Just please keep up the good work!
That's sort of how I got started and I'm
50 years old! Seems to me like it works!
Hank

Big Bunny

Great, great Public Relations those men !!

Well Done indeed, but I hate dry-firing anything metal on metal. Also, you could perhaps tell the kids to say they "saw it on TV" if they get targeted (after a verbal shooting related knowledge or slip-up or eavesdrop in school etc) by hoplophobic school teachers as a 'risk to society'. [Mine have to do this in OZ now. It avoids victimisation.]

But when we get visitors to our ranges they are often avoided by members, who are too busy shooting a match, as it is "Bill's" job to meet new members or visitors etc.

WRONG...it is everyone's job.

Great posting, it warms the heart!

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Long Path

Good rule of thumb:

If there's a junior at the range and they won't get in trouble if you let them, offer to let them fire a few shots of your funnest, least-punishing firearm. This is one reason I never shoot up alll my ammo before leaving the range-- never know when a junior will pop up while you're cleaning an inquire what it's like to shoot it. :)

I was blessed by some of these Good Samaritans over the years, who donated countless hundreds of dollars' worth of ammo and countless hours of their time to a bucktoothed gangly kid who was always eager to shoot a new gun. (Still am, but the teeth are straighter and the extra pounds about the waist attenuates the gangliness a bit... :) )

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited September 08, 1999).]