A good scope for a 100 yard Remington 700 in .223

Conn. Trooper

Hello, have to admit that outside of MP5's and AR type rifles I have a limited amount of rifle knowledge. I am looking for a suggestion on a good rifle scope for a Remington 700 SPS in .223. The furthest I plan on shooting it would be 100 yards or so. I dont hunt and only want the gun for fun shooting. I keep hearing that Leupold is a great scope and their prices seem ok. I looked at a Millett and it seemed ok, but my gunsmiths say they are kinda mediocre at best. Suggestions?

I am looking for something reasonably priced, less than $500 or around there.

kraigwy

Don't need much of a scope for 100 yards, You can get a dern good Luppie fixed 4 power for way less then $500.

bottom rung

On my own Remington 700 .223 that I shot in Connecticut, I used a Leupold VX-1 4-12X40. I bought it down at Hoffman's in Newington for a little over $200 if I recall correctly. There are tons of scopes that will do the trick for well under $500.

Inspector3711

Leupold or Burris... I'd look at a 3X9... I have a Remington 700 LVSF in .223 with a Bushnell 3X9 that came with it. It's okay but outclassed by the Burris and Leupold I have on my .25-06 and .22-250. By the way, that .223 bolt gun should hit varmints out to 300 yards. I'll be selling the Bushnell soon to help finance a new Leupold to replace it.

crowbeaner

My M700 in .222 wears a Bushnell 4x12. I like the clarity and the way it goes up to 12x without the POI changing. I also know the subtension of the reticle when it's set for deadon at 100, and can make the occasional 300+ yard shot with it. Not bad for a rock or less.

flashhole

I have a new Redfield 3.5-10 X 50mm on my Kimber. I have no complaints about the scope itself, it's a good value scope for the money I paid but I'm definately "under scoped" for the guns capabilities. I will upgrade next summer to something in the 16 - 20 power range.

This is it. I should add, I will go Burris or Nikon when I change it out. I have 3 Burris Signatures on other guns and will probably end up with a fourth.

Kimber4.jpg

Fox1

I've got a Remington 700 VTR in .223 REM with a Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 40mm on it and, so far, all I've used it for is 100 yards.
Seems to do the job just fine.

bigautomatic

Even during "fun shooting", the scope magnification choice can really depend on the size of your aiming point. There is a big difference in aiming at a 3" circle and aiming at a 1/4" dot. Crosshair thickness goes along with these same rules of thumb. And there are lots of choices for under $500 that will suit just about any purpose. Dollar for dollar, I like Sightron when it comes to variable power. For fixed power (when shooting groups), its tough to beat the Weaver T36.

JagFarlane

Personally I love Leupold, and their lifetime warranty is hard to beat. The VX-1 retails around $200 at most major stores.

Nikon is also a great manufacturer as far as I'm concerned. Their skills with photographic lenses seem to have transferred over well to scopes. Their warranty isn't quite as good as Leupolds though.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Bushnell Banner or Mueller.

You don't need $500 optics to shoot 100 yards. Frankly, you don't need them to shoot 500 yards either.