A good problem to have

KyJim

My collection has grown to the extent that, with accessories and ammo, storage is becoming an issue (again). I have a few recent vintage handguns with hard cases; e.g. a couple of Dan Wesson 1911s. The hard cases take up a disproportionate amount of space. Should I keep or toss these, knowing I'll lose a few bucks if I ever trade or sell?

I am NOT throwing out soft cases that came with handguns or boxes on any that are now collectible or are becoming collectible such as a Python or Model 27 I own. I have tossed original cardboard boxes in which newer handguns have shipped, like S&W M&P semi-autos.

Rob228

I wouldn't store anything in hard cases, keep the cases in the attic/basement and store the actual guns in a safe.

JWT

Unless you need hard cases for flying with the guns, I’d dump them if space is an issue. Not good to store guns in them.

Sevens

Wow, if you are actually storing guns INSIDE gun cases inside your safe, you are going to be absolutely elated when you rectify that poor decision. Inside any manner of a case, a handgun can be subjected to a humid environment. This is why you see a lot of gunmakers shipping a new gun with an anti-rust paper inside the gun box.

Man, you're going to have a heap of room in your safe soon, but you will have to buy some handgun racks.

45Gunner

Nothing will take up room in your safe faster than gun boxes.

My recommendation is to have custom made racks made for the shelves to get as many guns and magazines as you can into your safe.

Go to Home Depot or a moving supply store and buy a large carton to put those gun boxes in. I actually have my carton on top outside and on top of my safe so I can take out a gun box to match the gun it came in if I decide to sell or trade a gun.

ZEBRARANGER

I agree with the others, the cases take up too much room in the safe, but I wouldn't get rid of them either. I keep all my boxes, just in case I get rid of a gun, some people will want the box. I also keep the manuals in the box just in case I need one. I just keep them stacked up in a closet in a spare room that we use for storage. Open air storage in a rack in the safe is best, and utilizing a rack can save even more space in the safe for more guns :).

KyJim

No, I'm not storing my guns in the hard cases. Most are in silicone treated gun socks. My safe is in an attached, climate controlled garage with security system. Just not a lot of room for those hard cases. I'm getting another safe in the near future so maybe that will free up some room to store the hard cases.