A good gunsmith in NY?

fyrestarter

I'm just looking for an all-around top quality gunsmith in the NY metro area. Not a guy who "tinkers with triggers" or any basement jack, but someone who can tune, fix, upgrade and machine 1911's. I know of one guy, Michael Britt, but he's a bit expensive for routine stuff. Anyone have any good experiences with NY smiths?

Bladeandbarrel

Your best option is hardball gunsmithing in Norwalk, CT.
I lived upi your ways for a long time. There are no decent 1911 smiths in metro nyc. Norwalk is about a 1.5 hr ride from LI via I-95.

Hawgleg44

If it were me, I'd just go with someone who is well known and ship the 1911 to him. I can't say enough about Karl Sokol of Chestnut Mountain Sports in W. Rutland, VT. He's done several revolvers for me, but he's also customized 3 1911's for my friend, and they are absolutely perfect.

There has been several articles on his work in Comban Handguns. Along with many friends and competitors that I've known that have had work done by him, everyone from SWAT team members, DC cops, SEAL team members (VERY nice S&W M625) and people from all around the world. Instead of having someone local you really don't know much about do the work, I would highly recommend having Karl do it. I can guarantee you won't find a single flaw in his work.

I don't have his number right here, but if you call information for W. Rutland, VT, they can give it to you.

Hope this helps.