A good bolt Scope combo

What would be a good bolt action 308 scope combination for under $700?

Was looking at a savage either 110 or 112. Have read in TFL that if you buy it in pieces you can over all almost get a custom rifle equivalent to a rem 700. How true is this, and is it recomended?

Would like to hear your opinions, keeping in mind it is for distances ranging between 700yrds and 1200yds.

Have read that a rem 700 w/ free floating medium barell was accuarate to around 2000 yrds, anyone know how true this is?

2k Yards? The .308 generally goes transonic at 800 and subsonic at 1k. Precision Shooting Magazine reported that the Brits (I guess before the ban) use to practice with the 7.62x52mm rifles out to 1400 yards regularly. 2k yards is 50 cal country to me.

Rifle and gun combo for less than $700. My guess would be Savage along with a Leupold Vari II 3x9. I'm not throwing in cost of rings or the base either (Gawd, I paid about $200 for my set of Mark IV base and rings). I prefer Remington, but with that budget, unless you can get it wholesale or don't mind used (say Cheap - just like me. I once bought a Leupold Mark 4 M1 for $650 :) ).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

What would you recomend if price wasn't a major issue, just top notch equiptment? within reason of course.

What would you recomend if price wasn't a major issue, just top notch equiptment? within reason of course.

cartman308

never shot them but i want one..
Rober sr-60 in .308 WIN or .300 WIN MAG
they make a carbine also but don't recall the model number.... it wouldn't interest you seeing that you want it for such long ranges....

------------------
.308 WIN: The ONLY cartridge you will EVER need!