a friend in need

k31

i have recently began learning how to smith, and was asked by a friend to find a part for a s&w 41 mag revolver. he isnt sure what model it is and i have very very very little knowledge of revolvers, and the parts that make them work.
after searching on line i could only find 2 models in that caliber. the 57 and 58.
are there other models? the part he needs (i think) is the nut for the cylinder release is there a nut on the release? is it the same size on both model revolvers?
again i have only owned 3 pistols and they have all been autos i havent ever had a chance to break down a revolver and havent actually seen his he just asked me about it at work the other day so im kinda going into this blind.

MLeake

There is a screw that has a hollow shaft, and threads around the pin on the cylinder release; it holds the thumb piece onto the pin. That's probably what he means. I don't think there's any difference between that part on the 57 vs the 58.

Smaug

You should meet with him and look at the gun personally.

It seems like a waste of time to try to research it without even seeing it. He needs to help you help him, IMO. There's nothing unreasonable about that.

k31

thank you very much for the illustrations and the the references. i would love to see it but we work opposite 12hour shifts and we are not allow to have fire arms at work. i would love to get a good look at it and i dont think he would mind but it would be very difficult to get together out side work. and as for researching something i know nothing about, well thats the best part of reaserch isnt it? reaserch is done to study learn and extrapolate. learn anything and every thing even if it isnt applicable at the time what is a gun smith i i only know how to work on a hand full of fire arms

carguychris

are there other models?
The part (thumbpiece nut) will be the same as any other S&W N frame model of similar vintage, and the Midway USA link indicates that it was used on other frame sizes as well.

Regarding the model number, tell him to look inside the yoke cut for the number following the "M". All .41Mag S&Ws should have a model number here; they were not numbered prior to 1957, but the .41Mag cartridge was not introduced until later.

FWIW I would suggest that he call S&W customer service with the model number and serial number. They will often send you small and inexpensive parts for free. :cool:

Andy Taylor

Your questions have mostly been answered except about the model numbers.
M57 blue or nickel adjustible sight.
M58 blue or nickel fixed sight (looks like an oversized M10 HB)
M657 Stainless M57

That is it for S&W .41 magnums.