a ? for pt1911 owners

SpookBoy

This has kindof detered me from buying a pt1911, can you change out the hammer, i.e. take the key lock off and put a chip mccormick or a wilson combat hammer in place?

IdahoG36

Yes, you can change out the hammer. I installed a commander style hammer on my old PT1911. The lock looked like it was all internal to the stock hammer. It is really easy to do.

TheLastBoyScout

If there was supposed to be a lock in the hammer of a 1911... JMB would have put one there.

Getting rid of it is getting rid of something that could accidentally engage and disable a weapon. Seems like a good idea to me.

Edit to add... I'm buying my first 1911 next week. Barring a screaming deal on a used gun, it'll be a Taurus or a Springfield--either way the ILS will be gone in a month.

MPanova

Blah Blah Blah its there to help keep kids and others from being able to pick it up load and fire it

I got an idea lets just stop using electricity and all live in huts and ride around in horse drawn buggys..you know sometimes improvments are a good thing :rolleyes:

bigghoss

no gun safes are to keep kids from using it. internal locks are just put there by anti's to annoy us and make them feel warm and fuzzy.

MPanova

not everything safe on a gun is put there by"anti's" and no one is sleeping int he car down the street from your house watching you either :rolleyes:

IdahoG36

I haven't seen very many kids cracking gun safes lately. All of my guns are kept in one, and they are safe and secure.

stevelyn

Not everything safe on a gun is put there by the antis.........

No......you are right. Sometimes they are put there by lawyers.

(No offense toward our TFL bretheren who happen to practice law):D

MPanova

Ya we all know the 1000 dollar safe is the best place to keep guns 100% of the time and if someone breaks in we can always ask them to hang on a second while we go fumble with trying to open the safe in the other room, the lock is there for a reason and if you dont want to use it then you dont have to its that simple, it does not interfear with the function of the weapon so why bother changing it out is all im saying

TheLastBoyScout

It's all a matter of risk v. benefit... for me it looks like this:

RISK: A non-standard, non-milspec part DESIGNED to disable my weapon could engage without me wanting it to.

BENEFIT: It could allow me to disable the weapon without putting it in a safe, thereby making it "safer" to leave unattended in an area with small children. Since my youngest brother is 18, and I'm single and required by my contract to stay that way for the next few years, this benefit is basically non-existant.

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of the "locked up or strapped on" school of thought on weapons in the house to begin with.

SpookBoy

I think thelastboyscout has seen my point in his benefits section. i was inquiring as to the interchangability of the hammer, because i dont want the lock on it. if someone would come out with a pistol that value packed for that price then i'm all ears;)