A few questions about an older PT92AF

gadgetguy1288

I got this from my grandfather while I was home on Leave, and was wondering if I could get some questions answered.

Is there anyway to get an appoximate "DOB"? He is a retired LEO, and said he carried this as his duty weapon for a while. Only markings are "Taurus PT 92 AF 9mm para." on one side of the slide, "Taurus Int Mfg, Miami, FL. Made In Brazil" on the other side, and the serial on the frame.

Where would the best place to get rubber grips be, and i would prefer to get wrap arounds with finger grooves.

How would be the best way to refinish the grips that are on it? They are a little beat up, but I would like to keep them.

Pics to follow.

gadgetguy1288

Pics!

vacation-newgun032.jpg

vacation-newgun037.jpg

vacation-newgun035.jpg

vacation-newgun040.jpg

Also, it came with 2 15 round mags, I was wondering where the best place is to get more, and if anyone has any experience, with any mags with a higher round capacity( ive seen 17,18,20, and 30 rd mags)

Thanks again!

Last edited:

txstang84

I called up Taurus CS to get some parts once upon a time and when they asked for the serial number; the search came back that it was made in 1992. So, you could probably call them and ask for some background on it. I tried to use the serial number match on the website with no luck...

As for the grips, Hogue makes some great rubber ones for it-I've got them on my PT99-I'm not sure if Hogue makes wraparounds, although I know for a fact Pachmayar does.

Sorry I can't be of any help with refinishing the stock grips.

Standard new mfr mags for the PT 92 or 99 hold 17 rounds, and as far as I know function as the older 15 versions. You can probably source them at Midway, CDNN investments, or something of the like.

Last edited:

bald1

Randy,

My PT99AF is also a 1986 vintage. Only real difference are the rear sights... mine are adjustable. I thought I'd share my tweaks since you're looking at getting into your piece.

-- Wayland checkered Bocote grips
-- Hogue hex grip screws
-- Bullseye Spring kit
-- Polished trigger, sear & barrel ramp
-- beveled magazine well
-- trigger overtravel stop installed
-- Accu-Systems Bushing-Compensator (enhances barrel lock up for accuracy). It was recommended to me by NoCal LEOs in '87. Works well :) Beretta marketed a similar device for their 92F series which is also now discontinued.
-- Bonanza Gold applied to highlight rollmarkings

Taurus_PT99AF.jpg

-=[Bob]=-
Retired Navy

bald1

Randy,

I wish I could remember as it was back in '86-'87 when I was stationed at MINSY that I bought and tweaked the gun. As said the Accu-Systems comp-bushing is no longer available. I did see one of the Beretta factory ones for sale last month on a Beretta forum for an outrageous price of $150. Mine ran in the $30 neighborhood when new back then.

As for the spring kits, I don't think Bullseye is in business any more either. (I did the complete package replacing all the factory springs especially the trigger.) But I'm sure there are other options out there. Here's Wolff Springs page with all the various springs for the PT92/PT99: http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/TaurusNF.html#PT92. And Midway showing the Wolff trigger conversion springs: http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#taurus pt99 springs____-_

--Bob

Last edited:

Tired Retired

Randy,

I have a PT92 I purchased in 1986. Like yours, it is a pre-decker model. Back in the 80's I purchased Pachmyer wrap-around "signature" line grips. I prefer Pachmyer's over Hogue grips.

Your wood grips are "rosewood" like my original wood grips. IMO, the grips can be re-finished like any other wood grips, just be aware that the wood is softer than walnut. I noticed that a couple of your grip screws are starting to strip.

You can fine mags easy from any general gun shop - just make sure you get the Taurus mags and not Beretta.

Speaking of Berretta, you will find that some Berretta parts are exchangable on the Taurus - and some are not.

NOT interchangable - Mags, most grips, safety parts

Interchangable - Locking block, barrel, some grips, recoil spring & guide rod, all holsters.

My only advise is keep an eye on the locking block - Taurus' early ones will last about 50,000 rounds. Taurus' later ones are not as strong - go with the Beretta type III if you need to replace it.

You have a nice one there - enjoy!

Ed

KyJim

I just recently traded my Taurus PT99 from 1986 in toward a nice 1911. The Taurus was always a very reliable gun for me. I just couldn't get used to the thick grips. I hope it's not one of those guns I regret trading away.