A few Glock questions

Action_Can_Do

Hello everyone. I have a few questions about my new Glock. First I was wondering if a Glock is safe to dry fire. The manual doesn't say anything about it. Also, I have heard that lead bullets are not safe to fire through glocks because of the rifling. Again, the manual doesn't say. Any information on the above questions or any interesting bits of info about the glock would be appreciated.

STEVE M

Dry firing a Glock is fine, won't hurt it a bit. Lead bullets are a no no with

the factory barrel. You are correct it is due to the riflling. If you do a search

I'm sure it will turn up the exact nature of the problem. Just stick with

factory jacketed ammo or buy an after market barrel and you'll be fine.

You didn't ask, but if you reload, I would stay within normal cartridge

pressures do the the lack of rear case support in Glock barrels. Normal

pressure loads are fine, extra-high pressure loads (exp. 40's) are bad news.

WillBrayjr

Perfectly safe to dry-fire a Glock. As mentioned non-jacketed ammo is a nono because of the type of rifling. If yours is chambered for 40S&W do not use reloaded ammo. Stick with factory jacketed ammo and you shouldn't have any problems.

gbran

Lead builds up quicker in the polygonal rifling. This can lead to pressure spikes and kabooms. A lot of people do shoot lead out of Glocks, but pay extra attention to keeping them clean. I haven't found a compelling need to shoot non-jacketed lead bullets.

Scope

Its safe to dry fire a glock; in fact, its part of the field stripping process. Go read that section of the manual, and it will become apparent. As for lead bullets, do not fire them through your Glock. I have heard that even a single lead bullet can cause a Glock to malfunction, but I'm not sure if this is true. I have stuck with factory jacketed ammo and have not had any problems. If you really want to shoot lead bullets, though, you can install a match grade barrel with standard rifling. Then it shouldn't be a problem.

Handy

I wouldn't overly dry fire a Glock. A bit is fine, but since the Glock striker solidly stops up agaisnt the back surface of the hardened breech face, alot of striker hits on that surface is going to make it more brittle. This has happened before, but I have no idea if that "alot" is your "alot".

And, this isn't a problem with regular firing, before you ask. When you have a round in the breech the striker bottoms against the primer, not breechface.

Use a snap cap and it all becomes a non-issue, with any gun.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've posted this before but here it is again.

To some people, dryfiring means snapping the trigger after cleaning to make sure function is proper.

To some people, dryfiring means 100 dryfires every weeknight and 200 on weekend nights.

If you're in the FIRST group, then the answer is dryfire away. You'll not damage the pistol.

If you're in the second group, I recommend you get some snap caps. ;) You can reset the slide without ejecting a snap cap, BTW. The slide will pick up the striker after only a very small amount of rearward travel.

Lead bullets aren't such a great idea in high-pressure autopistol rounds, and are a worse idea in guns with polygonally rifled barrels like your Glock.

Ozzieman

I agree with JohnKSa

I have argued this point many times before.
Dryfiring in moderation will not hurt.
Dryfiring can help break in a trigger, but if your doing that, get a snapcap there cheep and lets face it you spend a lot of money on your new gun, treat it like you would want it to treat you.
Your life some day may be on the line and its going to save you.
And there are two Glocks setting on a shelf, one has a note saying "never fired but drifired 1000 times"
The other has a note saying " New in the box"
WHich would you buy?