A few AK questions

Auto426

I'm pretty set on getting a Colt SP6940 sometime soon, but just incase something would happen to where I can't afford to buy it this year, I'm looking into other guns, specifically AK's. And to think, I thought the world of AR's was confusing enough....

I think I understand most of the basics, like AK-47 vs. AKM vs. AK-74. I also understand that AK's can't be imported in their true configurations due to the 922r law which means they must be converted either by the end user or a stateside company like Arsenal. The most common options I have seen out there are the WASR's from Century and the Arsenal converted Saiga's and Bugarian models. I do have a few questions though that I would appreciate some help with.

My understanding is that the Arsenal converted Saiga's are not true AK-47's, but actually civilain models of the AK-103 (once they have been converted). Will these guns take the same accessories (stocks, forearms, etc.) as the AKM and AK-47 bases models? The Arsenal models have a great reputation for quality, but is there any real difference quality wise between the Saiga bases models and the Bulgarian reciever models?

I've also looked into Century's various WASR models, and from what I have read they seem to be pretty hit or miss. However. Most of the info I've found was a few years old. Are their latest production guns any better? Their price certainly is tempting since it's almost half the cost of an Arsenal, and I like that they come with the appropriate bayonet. However, my local gun shops don't keep piles of th around for me to dig through to find a decent one.

d sage

I bought a WASR 10 - Century Arms version. Nice barrel and trigger. The front sight post was off so much that I couldn't zero it so I had to buy a red dot. Probably would have done that anyway. Pretty accurate now. The double stack mod to the receiver looked like it was done with an axe. No one bothered to smooth out the metal edges after cutting. It is completely reliable though and a lot of fun to shoot. Kinda hard to beat for the price and the cheap ammo it will shoot.

raftman

The Arsenal SGL AK's (these are the converted Saigas) should indeed take all of the same accessories that a standard AK will (stock, handguard, etc), it is the unconverted factory Saigas in their sporter configurations that will not accept AK stocks, handguards, etc.

bustersmaster

WASR 10

I recently bought the WASR 10, double-stack and find it very acceptable and so far very reliable. I found that it eats up ammo that my SKS finds not to it's liking.
Oh, by the way, I haven't seen any WASR's coming through with the bayonette attached, at least mine didn't.

Gelgoog

The arsenal converted SGL rifles are as close as you are going to get to an authentic russian AK-100 series rifle. The only thing seperating them is the lack of full auto capabilities (third pin). They are no more a "civie" rifle than any other preban.

chris in va

I had a converted Saiga, did it myself actually.

Once I finally realized reloading for the x39 cartridge was pointless, I sold it and got an AR. Haven't looked back to be honest. It's much more...shootable...if that makes any sense. Plus aftermarket support is crazy if you want to hang a few things off it.

Auto426

I don't reload, so I'm mostly just looking for something fun and cheap to shoot right now. I am thinking of getting an AK further down the road just to have one anyway, and I have the urge to "tacticool" it with a tapco adjustable stock and possibly some type of railed forearm. That's why I was wondering if the 100 series of rifles would accept all common accessories. The Arsenal models seem to be the safe, yet expensive route to go. However, if you get a WASR that's right, they seem to be almost as good at almost half the price.

AK103K

You dont have to spend the extra money to get a decent shooting AK. My WASR and old SAR shoot just as good as my Krebs Saiga conversion, and have been just as reliable.

The only AK's Ive had issue with, especially in the accuracy department, have been US built guns. To me, the worst looking SAR that shoots, is far better than a fancy looking build, that wont.

As far as shootability, thats probably more of a use and user thing than anything else. I have a number of both AR's and AK's, and I find the AK's to be the more "shootable/usable" gun.

When compared to a similarly equipped AR and used in a more realistic way, your results/hits on target will be very similar.

Now if Im shooting in a "target" match, Im taking one of the AR's. Theres no doubt its the better "target" rifle.

Mrgunsngear

I have had a M70AB for about 6 years and it's a little more than the WASRs. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money but it's a great rifle. It's 100% reliable with any kind of junk ammo I throw at it. I but a bushnell red dot on it and can consistently get 4'' groups at 100 meters. That's the same accuracy I get with my chinese SKS with a scope on it so I can't complain...

If I had to do it again, I may just get a WASR, replace the furniture with a collapsable stock and a rail system. The texas weapons system rail keeps calling me too so I may do that as well.

Skans

AK's that will hold their value, other than imports:

Arsenal milled receiver guns. Especially underfolders. All others depend on build quality/components. FWIW, I don't like Saiga's thin receivers - don't know what all the fuss is about Saiga.

RC20

You could also look for a Norinco MAK-90 (imported years back with features to get around the ban, i.e. "Sportersized".

Something of a truncated AK in that it had no muzzle break or bayonet lug.

The receiver in the stamped is hell for stout (thickest of all AKs). The barrel was well cone chrome lined, bolt was chromed as well (resistance to that corrosive ammo). Trigger was double hook which you can't improve on.

Downside really was the sporter thumb-hole stock. Live with it or convert, Deadwood offers MAK-90 specific conversions. To be legal it means some more US parts (the stock only adds up to three parts per the regs and you need 5 total US made parts). Easiest is to get a US made AK magazine (3 parts the way they could that stuff). You can get other US made internals and do that, but none of them are an improvement over the parts that are on it.

Various plastic stocks and even better thumb-hole stocks, but not up on what constitutes legal for those (I would guess all plastic equivalent of wood is the same). Possible a replacement thumb-hole is no issue as its an equivalent but thats a guess and you would need to confirm.

Fairly inexpensive at around 450-650, reliable as all get out.

Eghad

J&G has the WASR 10/63s for $399. I own one of these ecxept I paid $249.00 for mine. It aint a match rifle but it shoots minute of bad guy.

dvdcrr

The only AK's I have heard bad things about were some tantals with US +1 on the milled Arsenals, old Mak90's, Vepr's and M70's. I also like the AMD65 but thats just for the looks.

RT

I love the Arsenal SGL series.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353
"All SGL21 rifles feature original Russian made 1mm stamped receiver, original Russian chrome lined hammer forged barrel, front sight block with bayonet lug and 24x1.5mm right-hand threads, gas block with accessory lug, US made anti-slap double stage trigger group, US made mil-spec. polymer stock set with stainless steel heat shield and trapdoor for cleaning kit, 1000 meter rear sight leaf, scope rail. "

Mobuck

I have a Century AK74(5.45) which is a pretty decent shooter. Much cheaper than some of the other calibers and adequate for banging at targets or defense. I added a quality scope mount and TruGlo 2X electric sight since 60 year old eyes and short coupled open sights aren't too great. The Tapco trigger on this rifle is quite good compared to military. Mags are more expensive than AK47 but not bad. Mine does not like the Wolf 70grain which I have little use for anyway.

Auto426

I was able to check out a handful of WASR's at a recent local gun show last weekend. From what my inexperienced eye could tell, the 4 guns I looked at seemed to be free of canted front sights and gas blocks, though I didn't really give them a good thorough look over. Since all of the guns on display where zip tied for the show I didn't get to check for mag fit, but the mag wells seemed to be cut pretty straight. They certainly don't make any efforts to re-finish the area where they make the mag well cuts.

Any AK purchase I make looks like its still going to be a ways off anyway. I'll be ordering my Colt SP6940 soon, and that's going to it for firearms purchases till about this time next year. I've got plenty of time to look at different models and to decide between a higher end model like an Arsenal or a lower end model like a WASR.

MagnumWill

I picked up an AES-10B last April and completely fell in love with it- it has none of the ailments that WASRs are supposedly plagued with. Even over at theAKforum it seems like no one has any problems with theirs, either; turns out Cugir turned out a pretty bang-up rifle and I'm glad I have one.

And again on CAI's quality- I noticed that too on how all of the complaints are like circa 2006-2008. I think you'll have a much higher chance of getting a decent rifle nowadays. At least I did :)