A distinction...

Quartus

"In his 1995 book, 'Fighting Terrorism,' (former Israeli prime minister Binyamin) Netanyahu forecast that Islamic fundamentalists would be the 'delivery systems' of increasingly lethal terrorism.

Tuesday they delivered to Manhattan two 198-ton bombs -- fully fueled aircraft. When they get nuclear weapons, Netanyahu says, they will use them. So U.S. policy must respond to a closing window of opportunity for pre-emption. That, says Netanyahu, means not going after needles in haystacks, but against the haystacks -- the states that sustain terrorists. U.S. forces at Midway, he says, did not just destroy Japanese planes, they sank their carriers. Certain supportive states are the terrorists' carriers." --George Will

"Some commentators and so-called experts have been quick to suggest that we will have to give up rights and freedoms in order to achieve greater security against the terrorist threat. They are wrong. The liberties of America's citizens do not facilitate terrorism -- rather it is the liberties we have wrongly allowed to non-citizens. Because so many of us are the heirs of America's immigrant tradition, we have been tempted to lose sight of the common-sense truth that we have the right to maintain and enforce the distinction between those who are citizens and those who are not. We have the right to scrutinize more carefully the access and activities of non-citizens, and to bar from our ports of entry or expel any non-citizens who we believe are involved with or abet the terrorist threat. With fairness, but without apology, we must implement a regime that secures the borders and gateways of the nation." --Alan Keyes

"The liberties of America's citizens do not facilitate terrorism -- rather it is the liberties we have wrongly allowed to non-citizens"

Precisely true.

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
"The liberties of America's citizens do not facilitate terrorism -- rather it is the liberties we have wrongly allowed to non-citizens"

Precisely true.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

The liberties we allow to non-citizens are the rights enumerated inthe Constitution. Those rights are inherent in every man, endowed by a benevolent Creator.

It is hubris of the most extreme sort to believe that the Creator endowed only American citizens with those rights.

LawDog

Quartus

Lawdog, if you are refering to basic things such as innocent until proven guilty, etc., I agree with you, and I'm pretty sure Keyes does, too. Look at what he says after that statement for the context.

Every nation has the right to control both travel and immigration across its borders.

Do you not agree with that?

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
Do you not agree with that?

I do -- one of my big beefs with the Libertarian party is their 'open border' policy.

Look at what he says after that statement for the context.

I did, and I'm still not real happy about it.

The liberties of America's citizens do not facilitate terrorism -- rather it is the liberties we have wrongly allowed to non-citizens. Because so many of us are the heirs of America's immigrant tradition, we have been tempted to lose sight of the common-sense truth that we have the right to maintain and enforce the distinction between those who are citizens and those who are not. We have the right to scrutinize more carefully the access and activities of non-citizens, and to bar from our ports of entry or expel any non-citizens who we believe are involved with or abet the terrorist threat.

This makes me nervous. The thought of the Federal Government looking into anyones activities smacks of fascism.

In this case, the activity was learning how to fly airplanes. Should the Federal Government be given license to go down your throat with a microscope in order to learn to fly a plane? What other activities will they decide need their scrutiny -- scrutiny becomes de facto approval -- what other activities will they decide need the FedGov's approval for someone to take part in?

I don't like the way things are going.

LawDog

Quartus

I understand, and share, your concern.

I'm not sure that Dr. Keyes has a problem in this area, because I think the context properly limits his comments to issues of who gets in and who doesn't. Certainly our borders are pathetically open. And Amen about the Libertarians. Of course, Mr. Buchannan's approach is also problematic.

( However, after the position he took on Michael New, I'm not going to blindly trust his judgement, either. I'd not support him for President, for example. Though SecState might be a good thing...)

Did somebody say something about liberty and eternal vigilance?

Destructo6

Well, if you believe the US Constitution grants no rights to her citizens, but simply affirms them, then there's a big problem. The ideal being that all humans have the same rights, as granted by their creator, with some countries denying those birthrights to their citizens.

Close or severely restrict the borders, yes, but don't have some govt agency crawl up the a$$es of those living here legally. You know how these things go; target one unpopular group initially, then add more groups as you go, especially as the original group is controlled and the agency doesn't want to die.