A different type of Holster ???

NCHornet

I have been thinking about something I want some opinions. I have been cc'ing for 12+ years. When I first started out I tried IWB, nothing fancy, just a off the shelf Bianchi or Galco, but I found it to be very uncomfortable with my G23. I finally ended up with OWB in a pancake holster and have carried it this way ever since. My favorite is the Bianchi CarryLoc.
Anyway I am looking for something for my P232, it is my church gun or for when I need deeper concealment. Since this gun is considerably smaller than the G23 I am considering giving IWB a try. I know everyone recommends the VM II but I am not going to spend that type of money unless I know it will work for me. I have looked at the Crossbreed line up as well as some other makers. It seems most of them have the same design as the VM II. While looking at the holster it dawned on me, why not place belt slots below the belt loops and the holster could be worn IWB or OWB?? The extra wide wings that are used on OWB to keep the holster tight to the body would do the same thing OWB given the proper belt is worn and as long as the gun wasn't to top heavy it should keep close to the body. I believe the P232 would be perfect for this type of combo holster. So what am I missing? Would this work, or not, please explain. I would think this would be a very versatile holster. I could see it not working with heavier and larger guns, but for something mid sized I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Also for those more experienced at IWB do you prefer the adjustable clips or the loops of leather with a snap to attatch to the belt? I have seen the clips that have several holes for adjusting cant, these seem to be very versatile.
I appreciate the opinions.

NCH

Shorts

Interesting idea on the slots for an IWB/OWB and I have seen it once. So long as the holster has enough leather to cut the slots in the proper position, it would work for the most part. As far as the looks/design go, well that's subjective.

Take into consideration the posts for the hardware that is in place for the belt loops. Depending on the brand, this hardware is permanent and cannot be removed. Those will sit above the belt when it is being worn OWB.

For break in, not sure if it would adjust the holster much between wearing it on the belt with the pressure on the backside of the holster vs IWB with the pressure on the front side of the holster. Time would tell in this regard.

On the body - instead of there being a full piece of leather against the skin, there would now be leather with slots. This sort of ties in with break it. Wearing a holster on the belt shapes the outside edges of the slots. This may or may not change the comfort of the fit when it's worn IWB.

Just my small ramblings off the top of my head. The structurally, it would work. Comfort and fitment-wise, it might have a few challenges.

AK103K

Why not just use the existing loops and put the holster under the belt on the outside of the pants instead of inside?

Blade Tech makes a great IWB, and its only about $60.

If you havent already tried one, Smart Carry will make your P232 disappear under the right set of pants/trousers (sounds exactly like "church" pants to me :) ) Its very comfortable and surprisingly fast and easy to get to, even sitting down. The bigger guns need looser pants, but with something like your Guardian, you can pretty much use any type pants. You can use the same holster too, you just use a safety pin to set the "depth". Smart Carry's run about $50.

NCHornet

No smart carry for me. Nothing going that close to "the boys" lol!!!

Thanks for the replies, you know I have read of thers that use a OWB and run the belt on the outside of the holster, and then you could use the same loops. Although for OWB I would prefer the belt slots. I have contacted a holster maker about this. he is smaller but does great work and I have asked his opinion. I don't want to order a IWB and then not like it and have to sell it, the P232 isn't a real common carry gun. I have never seen a holster like this so I am assuming there is some major problems with it, but maybe not.
I don't care bout how it looks, who's going to see the darn thing? I would think break in would be the same, either up against my bosy or up against my jeans, should be the same shape, right? I will let you know what the leather man says. The wings on the IWB are quite large so I don't see room for the belt slots to be a problem, the loops can just hang there or I am sure a simple yankee screw, as this wouldn't be something I would be changing daily. I do appreciate the feedback.
Take Care

NCH

AK103K

LOL. I hear ya! :)

I thought the same thing until I tried my first one, for a P230 too by the way. I still use it occasionally, but I got one now for my Seecamp, and I'm never without it. I'm real physical at work, and play, and I've never had a problem with retention or anything else. You can also access the gun through the zipper if you have to.

Hey, its a very viable alternative for a lot of tough carry situations, if you can get past the scary part. :)

NCHornet

I carry my Guardian in a Nemisis Holster in my right front pocket. Thanks to a member of another forum I actually found what I was looking for. I reckon my idea wasn't so unique afterall. Here is a copy of my reply on the other forum.

Son of a gun!!! There is one already made!! I reckon I wasn't so crazy. Instead of the belt loops I wonder if you could use the same clips like the M-tac uses, that would be slick.
Thanks for the link, still looking for others advice. Here is a link to the Bluegrass holster, look under specialty holsters. It is called the Mason Dixon

Bluegrass Holsters

I just looked at Comp-tac and they sell the clips seperately. I think adding this to the holster would make a really versatile system. What do y'all think? As I said I am new to IWB. Here are the clips.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=81

NCH

Son of a gun!!! There is one already made!! I reckon I wasn't so crazy. Instead of the belt loops I wonder if you could use the same clips like the M-tac uses, that would be slick.
Thanks for the link, still looking for others advice. Here is a link to the Bluegrass holster, look under specialty holsters. It is called the Mason Dixon

Greetings all....

One of my customers mentioned this thread and thought I would stop by to answer any questions. I do indeed have the holster you are wanting and a mold to go with it....What a deal! :D

Right now the Mason Dixon holster is the most frequently ordered holsters. You get two holsters for the price of one average custom rig. The IWB riser attachments are at the bottom to give the holster tuckability and lends some height and cant addjustment. I could make it the other way, however, you would sacrifice some of the ride OWB...information for another post if interested.

Yes, you can use the CompTac clips, however, you will sacrifice a little in comfort and adjustability. The leather that I use for the IWB attachment is called "sole leather"....made for the soles of shoes, horseshoe pads and some weightlifting belts....in other words it is stiff enough to lay flooring with if you were silly enough to try. The benefit is that they do flex somewhat allowing the holster to continue conforming to YOUR body contours.

I will be happy to answer any questions. let me know if you want to place an order.

ADDED:
The hardware used for this holster is removable, not only allowing replacements should damage occur, but also allows for interchanging black loops for brown should the owner switch belt colors. Also, no charge for tension screws and sweatshields. Also, it works well for larger firearms, too, as I wear it for Sig 220, have made them for SR9's and Govt 1911's.

Be safe

Keltyke

"Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?" "Jeez, lady, whatta ya think? Of course it's a pistol!"

The Great Mahoo: Bluegrass, do either of your IWB holster allow for a shirt to be tucked in overtop of them?

Yes...both do now. The photo on my website for the "Ghost" IWB is an older design which I replaced last week officially. The riser attachment to both will flex forward enough to allow you to tuck your shirt in between the riser and the holster....blousing your shirt enough will then cover the belt loops and you are now carrying tucked with the only caveat being if you do, you need to train constantly to access your firearm. The deeper the concealment, the longer time from need to presentation, and the greater your awareness needs to be.

Here is a photo of the current IWB:

Ghostwithrisers.jpg

Two versions of the Mason-Dixon.....the first shown as it would be worn IWB:

MasonDixon-EC-WEB.jpg

Next shows the underlying belt slots for OWB wear:
Mason-Dixon-WEB.jpg

Last edited:

AK103K

"Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?" "Jeez, lady, whatta ya think? Of course it's a pistol!"
If shes looking at your pocket, shes not looking at your gun, unless ofcourse you have a gun in your pocket. :)

My buddy has carried a TPH in a leather pocket holster for years. So much so (he always has it along) that he's got a "TPH ring" in most of his pants. If your looking, its instantly noticeable as to whats there. So much for discrete pocket carry. :)

So far, the only issue I've had in that respect with my Smart Carry's has been a wear point on my pants from the top rear edge of the slide. I just put an iron on patch there now when I buy new pants and its no longer a problem. There's also no hint of a "Seecamp ring", even on the last day they can be worn.

The Smart carry is one of those "novelty" holsters that once you get one, you really wonder how you ever got a long with out it. Its one of the few gimmicks that isnt and can be worn comfortably, day long, everyday, in just about anything you put on. You can literally wear nothing else but a pair of swim trunks, shorts, or sweatpants, and have no problem having your gun along, and one thats a lot bigger than you might think.

"the boys" might jump up on your belt buckle the first time you wear one and say.."Dude! ***?!?!, but they'll get over it and soon have a new life long friend. :)