A Deer Rifle for the Girlfriend

David the Gnome

So I recently purchased a shotgun for my girlfriend so I could take her small game hunting with me this year and since then she has miraculously become enamored with the idea of going hunting. She is signing both of us up for quota hunts for deer and bird and she wants a deer rifle now. :eek:

So here's the catch, she's left-eye dominant... she shoots well left handed, which is a good thing because she can't shoot using her right eye at all. This causes all number of headaches when it comes to finding her a gun.

My father owns a very old Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle which she could use. I think this may be the best bet because the 30-30 doesn't kick very hard, is pretty light weight, and is ambidextrous in its use. The downside is that it only has iron sights and I don't think it has provisions for mounting a scope without drilling and tapping, something we can't do to a gun that's on loan. She is rather insistent on having a scope. She says she would feel much more confident in her ability to humanely dispatch a deer if she could be zoomed in and more certain of a clean shot.

Alternatively, we could purchase a new one for her, one that could easily have a scope mounted on it and would not be on loan. I am, however, open to suggestions if anyone else has a better idea. She is about 5'7" and 130lb and being essentially left handed really limits the options.

This is the gun we are looking at at Bud's:

41183.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_323/products_id/41183

bufordtjustice

You might try the pawn shops as they usually have a few lightly used deer rifles floating around. I think a 30-30 is probably a decent idea and they have killed more deer than anything else. Maybe put on a limb saver if she doesn't handle the recoil.

If you one, have you considered putting a scout scope mount on it? I have a couple for my 45-70's and think it is a great way to go with a levergun.

RNB65

Savage make a left handed version of the Model 14 American Classic. The .243Win version would be an excellent choice for a female hunter.

hoytinak

A guy I work with as a very nice Savage (not sure the model number or price offhand though) left-handed .25-06 for sale. It'd make a great deer rifle, I'd buy it myself if it wasn't left-handed.

72gator

The Handi rifles would give you an option as far as calibers go and ambidextrous functionality. If price is a consideration the Savages are excellent and they have a descent selection to choose from. If price isn't part of the equation, a Rem. 700 youth would be a good choice. The 30-30 is fine BTW, limited ballistically though. .243 Win., .25-06, 7mm-08 would all be good choices. Oh yeah, .308 ain't bad neither for youth/female hunters.

jgcoastie

If $$$ isn't a big issue, check out Browning BAR's... The right-handed models are lefty-friendly. I've been using a Safari MkII in .30/06 for a long time and I too am left-eye dominant/shoot left-handed.

sc928porsche

Left hand Savage in 260 rem. Light recoil and heavy power downrange. Flat enough for those longer shots. She wont have to upgrade unless you go after moose or bear.

Buzzcook

Take her to a gun store and let her try a bunch of rifles on for size. Fit is very important. A small person using a gun that is too long is in for a world of hurt.

A lever action is a fine idea and the 336 in .30-30 is one of the better deer rifles around. But once again its got to fit her well.

As mapsjanhere said, used left hand rifles sell for good prices. Check as many out as you can.

On edit here's a pretty gun for a girl or boy.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141343214

Last edited:

Jimro

A left handed Savage is a great option in 243 or 7mm-08.

But a 30-30 is always a good option, for pretty much any hunter.

Jimro

trooper3385

I would go with the marlin 30-30. It would work good for a beginner and it's not to terribly expensive. If she sticks with the hunting and you, then you can upgrade her to a left handed bolt action. If you don't work out, your not out of as much money!!

Hawkeye_FH

I know none of the Walmarts here in Lexington have guns anymore, but back home in Bardstown they still do. I think the last time I was there i think they had 336's priced right at $300, but don't hold me to that. If u decide to go that route, i don't think the Walmart in Frankfort or Paris carry guns anymore either but you could check Lawrenceburg, Richmond, and Winchester.

Also the handi-rifles might be a good choice as previously mentioned, and i agree make sure it fits.

Abel

That Marlin 30-30 with the new Hornady Lever Evolution ammo will straight slap a deer down! An honest to God 200 yard gun. Put a Buckmasters Nikon scope on that rifle and she'll be set. I'm left eye dominant too, and I hunted with that same rifle for a season and killed three deer that year.

When she gets a few notches in her belt, the left handed Browning BAR in .243 in the perfect low recoil high powered rifle.

Picher

I've never been a fan of scoping most lever guns. Most, including the one you show have a low comb, so it's unnatural to mount the rifle and be looking through a scope. A lace-on comb pad helps, but is ugly.

A receiver sight is excellent, especially with a wide aperture, or no aperture. She should be able to hit a pie plate at 100 yards with one.

taylorce1

.243 Win., .25-06, 7mm-08 would all be good choices.

+1, but I'd lean more towards the 7mm-08 over the other two just for bullet selection. Who knows she may make you take her elk hunting someday!:cool:

Departed402

Savage

As a fellow lefty I would like to give my opinion.

I currently use a right-handed 30-06 Savage I won so I can help you with price, but it's a good brand. My Savage came with a Simmons Scope, and at 100 yards if was only off 3 inches right out of the box! If you have the money I would go out and buy her a left handed rifle, but like i sais I'm a lefty and i get by using a right handed rifle. You just have to use your lead hand to work the bolt, or reach over with your right hand. I usually have my rifle resting on something when I shoot so I just use my lead hand.

As for that lever action. My father uses a Winchester 30-30 lever action to deer/antelope hunt on occasion. He likes the archaic feeling he gets when he uses it. The disavantage of using a lever action of course if the fact that you can't mount a scope on top of it (this can be remedied by using a side mounted scope, but these can get in the way). So most people just use open sights, and it can be difficult to make long shots with open sights.

I don't know what kind of terrain you deer hunt on, but if you're going to try and make long shots across a corn field you may have trouble.

Last edited:

Jmackk

If you get her a 243 or something like that for deer size game, it gives you an excuse to buy another gun later for elk and/or bigger game:D That's the excuse I always use "well hunny I just can hunt this criter with this caliber, I need a nother one":D:D

James R. Burke

Had the same thing with my wife. Got her a Ruger No 1 A light sporter in a .243. They come in lots of calibers, and some folks think a .243 is alittle light for deer. I taught her the best killing spots to aim for, and had her practice alot. She shot at a buck the first time, and done a double lung. Went about 40 yards and dropped. She then filled her doe tag with a neck shot, and dropped right there. So two for two. Shot placement is the key no matter what you decided on getting, and sometimes if you can not get the placement you need to leave them walk. She figured with the doe if she missed no big deal, she would have another chance. I reload so I had her worked up a load. Laupa case, CCI large rifle primer, RL-22, and a Nosler 100 grain partition. The larger bullets in the .243 like the slower burning powder. They were at about 3000 f.p.s. I think getting a good rifle, and not being afraid of recoil will make the new shooter much more accurate and confident, and there are many nice calibers out there that will work. But I had her practice alot, and made sure she new her shot placements at all angles etc. and when to just leave them walk if it was not a perfect shot.