A&D Books

littlmak

Where do I get this book? Local gunshop? online BATF? ( tried searching, only found regs. explaining use etc..)

noelf2

I had the same problem. After reading part 478 of ATF P 5300.4 (478.125(f) specifically), I finally made my own book for my C&R log. I downloaded a sample A&D form and printed about 20 pages, putting page numbers on each before printing. I used front and back of each piece of paper, stacked them together, and stapled the hell out of the left edge (consider this binding it so it is a "bound" book). Then I put it in a 3 punch hole folder.

The ATF is not specific in what a "bound book" is; they just say you need to use a bound book. Nothing in the rules says you can't make your own bound book. I figure the ATF wants to be able to check that pages haven't been removed, so I made it relatively impossible for me to remove a page without it being obvious.

You can also just buy a bound book with blank pages (like the ones at WalMart and Target) and hand write everything like this guy did:
http://beasurvivor.blogspot.com/2008/06/batf-bound-book-requirement-and-c.html

Technosavant

It only needs to be an orderly collection of pages that contain the needed info.

I downloaded a .pdf example of a page and made a few copies. Then I numbered them and put them in sheet protectors in a 3 ring binder. This is perfectly acceptable so long as the pages are numbered.

noelf2

Yeah but Brownells wants $10.50 for shipping. Non-starter for me! Make your own and save $$ for AMMO. There's a .jpg image on the site I posted above if you choose to make your own bound book.

littlmak

NOELF2 that looks like a winner to me! Will go to office supply in the morning and find an accountants ledger w/removable pages so I can type info and replace. (my handwriting is the worst) Will search online tonight to see if they make such as beast. Thanks all for the ideas/responses.
Yeah! I too am cheap. After checking prices, looks like it's going to be a spiral notebook, straightedge, and a sharpie for making the borderlines.

Last edited:

Shiner Bock

Yeah, you wouldn't want to just order the book and nothing else. But if you order from there occasionally, you can toss it into your order without it affecting your shipping charge.

littlmak

That's what I ended up doing. Put pages in a photo album with the peel back clear plastic sheets. Less chance of them ripping or smudging over time

Somewhere along the line I heard this had to be kept at your home. I have all of my important information at my office. Will keeping it at my office be a problem?

carguychris

Somewhere along the line I heard this had to be kept at your home. I have all of my important information at my office. Will keeping it at my office be a problem?
Theoretically yes. If you interpret the regulations strictly, the record book and the C&R firearms are supposed to be stored at the address printed on the license.* If they will be stored elsewhere, you're supposed to get a separate license for that locale.

*Firearms can be stored in a "separate warehouse" (CFR's wording) so long as that place is used for nothing but firearms and ammo storage. This topic was discussed in another recent thread. However, AFAIK this provision does not apply to the record book.