A curved gun??? for shooting around corners ???

so... it's funny the journey we travel... I started out looking at double action 22 revolvers... came across a couple Tauri... so I went to their site to see what they currently offered...

ok... same old... clicked the "what's new" button... & I was both amazed & dismayed at the same time...

saw a little 380... ( base gun similar to my much loved little TCP ) but it had at best description a "cover" instead of a trigger guard, which housed both an LED light, & a laser... pretty cool... until I read that the gun is curved...

ok... yep... it's a Taurus... but come on... curved... for real ???

a link... don't know if it's been abused in threads here or not yet... but... even for a Taurus, I'm skeptical...

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=901&category=Pistol&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

Last edited:

Snyper

The frame is curved to (supposedly) make it fit closer to the body.
All parts that need to be straight are straight

"Corner-Shot" really does shoot around corners:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CornerShot

CornerShot is a weapon accessory invented by Lt. Col. Amos Golan of the Israeli Defense Forces in cooperation with American investors.[1] It was designed in the early 2000s for SWAT teams and special forces in hostile situations usually involving terrorists and hostages.

Its purpose is similar to that of the periscope rifle; it allows its operator to both see and attack an armed target, without exposing the operator to counterattack.

Buzzard Bait

not new idea

I believe I saw a picture of a World War 2 era German Mauser rifle that had a curved Barrel for shooting around corners it even had a mirror mounted on the front to help aim around the corner doubt that it worked very well but desperate times call for well you know
bb

smee78

Buzzard bait beat me to it. Here is a picture I found of one of the German guns.

Attachments

• AVN4-Z-F2-L.jpg
    AVN4-Z-F2-L.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 82
Those curved barrel Stgw 44s were meant for panzer crews to defend themselves against enemy infantry who clambered onto their tanks.

44 AMP

Staff
Many WWII armored vehicles have what are called "pistol ports". A small opening, usually covered with an armored flap, where a pistol or SMG muzzle can be poked through and fired to "clean off" enemy infantry from the vehicle.

In most of those cases, a curved barrel would not be an advantage, or much of one. However, any advantage is an advantage, and the Germans made extensive use of open topped armored vehicles (including the standard infantry halftracks) and being able to shoot over the side of one of those, without having to stick your head up would be an advantage.

Note how the barrel has holes (some are fully cut away to a half barrel) at the curve. Gas is vented there, making it effectively the muzzle, and the bullet "skids" around the turn down the rest of the barrel, and out.

It did work. Accuracy? nil beyond point blank. And the barrels wore out VERY quickly. On the other hand, being able to hose off the enemy while keeping your butt (and more vital parts) behind an armor shield could be a useful thing.

tipoc

Magnum Wheel Man,

What makes you think the gun is curved? Yep the edges are rounded but there is no relationship between it and rifles meant to shoot around corners.

tipoc

Wreck-n-Crew

I don't see the Curved pistol being the next best thing but stranger things have happened! Think of how many people laughed at the thought of a polymer gun...!:D

Finally, something even uglier and dumber than the Chiappa Rhino!
The rhino is dumb? Odd and even ugly to some but dumb it is not. In fact there is some genius in it's design.

The barrel is mounted underneath the cylinder so that recoil comes straight back inline with the arm and wrist. So when you fire your shooting from the bottom chamber in the Cylinder. Muzzle rise is very little. They actually are a pleasure to shoot. Accurate too. Even though it's DA/SA it is not hammer fired...yet it has a hammer that functions as a real hammer fired revolver. You use the hammer to cock it for SA and it rises and falls with each trigger pull.

The only reason the hammer is there is to provide the same function as a DA/SA revolver. This was done because because of the aforementioned position if the barrel. A regular hammer would never do for that reason.

Even the odd Octagonal cylinder was shaped with a purpose. To reduce weight and to eliminate unnecessary cylinder width. The thickness of a cylinder needs only to be as thick as the distance between chambers. There is a whole lot of extra weight shaved off of the cylinder.

Reducing weight was also incorporated into the frame by making it of alloy. The barrel is an insert. The lighter weight makes more sense when considering the muzzle rise and overall control of the gun. It go's well with the straight back recoil design. Muzzle rise is much lower than other guns with similar weight.

FYI... it was a joke about shooting around corners :)

the curved part seems to actually be the grip ( not the barrel )

my thoughts there, are similar to the Delta grip available for revolvers... instinct firing is going to be off, unless there is lots of practice ( because of the grip being different angle ( in this case curved ) than other guns... perhaps for single gun, gun owners who could develop muscle memory for only the curved grip, it might be OK, but for multi gun owners, shooting the curved grip is not going to shoot the same as other "more normal" profiles

SpookBoy

Assassins can not shoot around corners. The movie "wanted" was a joke and the theory has been disproved by professional shooters.

rose728751

Had an M3a1 back in 1979 issued to the tank with a slitely, looked to be about 7, 8 deg curved barrel, amorer said thats the way it was made, thought maybe it had got cought some how in the turret and bent, Nope..