A Couple of Sweet 1903's!!

taylorce1

Before the purist jump all over me I bought these two rifles as they are now there is no way I'd customize a full dress 1903 Springfield. Here are two of my favorite hunting rifles although not proven game getters in my safe as of yet. I know they will defiantly kill game as they are both proven cartridges, just I haven't been lucky enough to see legal game while hunting with these rifles. Both rifles were built on Remington Actions.

My .338-06!

SIGSHR

Excellent photos, and some of us are old enought to remember when "sporterizing" an old warhorse was a very chic thing.
Are those genuine 03s? I bought a sporterized 03 years ago, toyed with the idea of "restoring" it, when I finally looked at it closely I realized it was a National Ordnance 03 and the previous owner had not commited sacrilege.

taylorce1

Both say Remington 1903 Springfield under the one piece bases. Both are in the 3 million range on serial numbers before anyone brings up the weak action warning again. The Whelen needs a little work in the recoil pad area, it literally hurts to shoot.:D

Both rifles wear a VXIII scopes only the .338 has Butler Creek caps covering the pretty gold ring.

elkman06

My 03A3 was sporterized by my grandfather back in the early 60's. Bishop stock, etc. Very nice shooting rifle. I truly appreciate that he didn't do what most did in shortening the barrel. Mine is full length. Dusted a mule deer buck in the adams apple at about 400yds w/ it a few years back.
elkman

taylorce1

I owned three of them at one time, but I sold one that was still in .30-06. I probably shouldn't have done it, but it went to a good home. I couldn't think of anything I wanted to build on it and it was D&T for a scope so no point in restoring it. That one was a Smith Corona action.

Very nice. I've been sniffing around for a nicely priced, nicely done sporter myself.
They are out there, I paid a little over $1100 total for both the rifles. I bought the .338 locally which was a rare find and picked the Whelen up off of gunbroker.com after I watched it no sale 4 or 5 times. So they are out there just got to keep watching for them.