A couple of sks questions

Sterling

1. Whats is the consenses re: acuracy between the Yugo vs Norinco SKS .------------- 2. Promag 10rd sks mags anyone have feedback on these they seem well built though Ive read the 30rd can be problematic could it be with 2/3 less ammo the 10rd functions better. I only use it for punching paper not home / self defense so a ftf wont be a life or death issue as I have typical modern hardware for that.

doofus47

My buddy sold me his Russian SKS for dirt cheap b/c he liked his norinco SKS better. The trigger and accuracy on the Russian were both great imho.
So, I think that you'd be good with a Norinco.
If you do get an SKS, just stick with the standard, built in 10 round magazine. It's a wonder of simplicity and efficiency and mine never failed me.

P5 Guy

Personal preference for me is NOT going to be the Yugo with the grenade launcher. I've handled a couple and the launcher throws the balance too far forward for my taste.
Accuracy isn't match rifle by anyones idea, for general plinking either will be able to hit out to 150 yards. Maybe not all ten rounds but a majority of them.
A general rule of thumb, the more after market goodies one adds to any SKS just make this neat little carbine worse.

Chainsaw.

Accuracy? Dono.

As far as mags Ive got one promag Ive yet to shoot and two tapco 20 rounders that run dandy fwiw.

jimbob86

Accuracy of either is not going to stellar ..... sights are not great, and ammo is not really match quality either.

I have a Yugo with the grenade launcher .... the stock is also a much heavier contour than the Rus and Chicom guns I have seen. I like the weight- makes shooting it more comfortable.

From what I've seen, putting magazine kits into an SKS is just spending money to have functioning problems ..... spend it on ammo instead.

Rich_357

When I purchased the gun, it came without the original magazine.

Just keep your eyes open. There are a lot of the OEM mags floating around; I wouldn't pay more than $40 for one.

I have a Yugo 59/66 and they are accurate but heavy; they are built like tanks but don't have the chromed lined barrel. Chromed line barrels aren't a necessity but it is nice to have if you plan on shooting surplus corrosive ammo. New production ammo won't affect it either way.

Be aware that a Chinese Type 56 and a Norinco are not the same thing. The first is military, the second commercial.

Mosin-Marauder

I can get 10 rounds of the tula 124 stuff (general consensus is it shoots the best compared to the tula 122 stuff) into under 10" I'd say at 200 yards off the bed rail of my truck. It's exceptionally accurate and a blast to shoot, but I hate to shoot it due to the near perfect shape it's in.

Mobuck

The SKS is a basic battle rifle designed a LONG time ago. Left in it's basic form, it is still a viable option in areas where mag capacity is limited by law.
Otherwise, it's still just a short-medium range lead flinger that is best accepted for what it is.

RUT

>>If you do get an SKS, just stick with the standard, built in 10 round magazine.<<

I agree. If you want or need more than that just get an AK and be done with it.

Model12Win

>>If you do get an SKS, just stick with the standard, built in 10 round magazine.<<

I agree. If you want or need more than that just get an AK and be done with it.

There are a ton of tactical stocks and extended mags for the SKS. The TACPO ones are well thought of and reliable.

No reason to go with the 10 round box, that and all the clips for them don't work and rounds fall out.

jimbob86

There are a ton of tactical stocks and extended mags for the SKS. The TACPO ones are well thought of and reliable.

That's not what I've seen- tons of folks bashing them on the web, and generally, when you futz with a gun design, you decrease reliability.

No reason to go with the 10 round box

If it works, then it's not broken, until you fix it 'til it is .....

that and all the clips for them don't work and rounds fall out.

Never had that happen.....

Sterling

All the same to me but I notice a "factory 10 rd SKS box mag is best" yet have no issue with an AK having a 30 rd woble ass mag, yes even the best AKs woble thats just how they are and they work fine. If its for preservation reasons I get it otherwise a 10 rd qaulity duckbill is just the same to me.

jersurf101

Stolivar I really like that sight. Thanks for posting. I am a big fan of the Norinco in its stock configuration. This is a great rifle and the lighter the better in my mind. Mine will ding the 200 yard ram pretty regularly with everything stock.

sarge83

Tapco after market mags are decent. Changing out a duckbill mag is a royal pain in the arse! I prefer the Norinco's myself over the Yugo's. My favorite is the Romanian SKS. I would leave it stock with the original magazine and get some stripper clips for it. I have one norinco that I bought with a modified steel duck billed mag that I have left as is because it actually works reliably.

If you are intent on a high capacity magazine for an SkS look for a norinco D or M model, they take AK magazine.

Ricklin

Keep it "stock"

Stick with ten round mags. The thirtys fail often. The tens never do.

The SKS carbine handles best with what it was designed for.

I will bet I can get off thirty faster with my 10 rounder and stripper clips. They don't jam.

Can the Tech sites be added W/O cutting metal? I've got a Russian I won't alter but would not mind better sites.

Been an SKS fan for decades.

In the 80's when the sks's were all over the place I got a chi com 20 rd mag that replaced the 10 rounder. It was exactly like the stock mag swung down attached the same way just bigger. it never jammed and if you just want to load ten on a stripper clip they go in easy

doofus47

Sterling
When I purchased the gun, it came without the original magazine.

That's a shame. Well, just cuz the street you're on has a gutter doesn't mean you have to walk in it. Looks like the originals are going to be going for $40-50 on fleabay. Bummer, but that's the price for peace of mind.

I've never experienced loading, feeding or extracting issues with my original magazine.

If you want an SKS with full capacity, save up your nickels and look to get a Norinco M or D model that takes the AK mags. Best of both worlds. It sounded like you were just looking to chase milk cartons with this.

Any case, have fun with it.