A couple of HD Shotgun options -- Input?

DoItRight

To the Group -

I'm pretty experienced with handguns but I'm very new to shotguns -- zero experience besides what I've read online.

My wife and I live on several acres surrounded by other similar properties. Lately, there have been some reports of folks breaking into cars and such nearby. I really don't expect to have to use one but since my wife is often home alone, I figure better safe than sorry so I'm in the market for a shotgun. I am sold on a (pump) shotgun as the best available HD weapon but I'm not an expert. (FWIW, my wife is very experienced with handguns and has also handled and fired shotguns before)

That said, I have a $300 credit at a gun dealer and am looking at their stock. The only things they currently have available in an 18.5 inch barrel are:

Charles Daly Field Tactical -- $250 (Also available in black)
23.jpg

Mossberg 500 Special Purpose Persuader -- $295
25.jpg

Any thoughts one way or another on either of these?

Last edited:

Technosavant

Between them, I'd lean towards the Mossberg. Not that the CD isn't any good (I don't know one way or the other), but the 500 is a proven design and parts and accessories are very readily available. Not that you'll be tricking it out, but shoot anything enough and you'll be replacing something sooner or later. The greater the parts availability, the easier the search is, cheaper the part is, and shorter the wait to get it back in service.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The parts and pieces for a 500 will always be available even if china refuses to export to us as the 500 is American born, bred and MADE!:D
Yep I am a proponent of American made items if available... for 50 bucks more? 500 ALL THE WAY!!! And a Mossberg with 28 inch barrel is less. you can sell the long barrel threaded for chokes to a hunter and buy a short barrel for it... Maverick 88 is about 150.00 or so with 28 inch barrel from walmart and will also sell for near 80 bucks and the same 500 18 inch barrel fits...:D
Brent

Creeper

Of the two... and I'm slightly surprised you don't have a Rem 870 in the mix, I'd lean toward the 500.

Do you intend to do anything else with the gun, or will it sit, waiting behind a door most of it's life?

C

OlympicArmsFan

If your in the budget of 250-300 go with the mossberg. The parts are out there and the after market supports them.

I have a Mossberg 500 that just arrived today that I will go and fill out paper work on tomorrow.

Good luck on the buy of the shotgun and I think Mossberg is your best bet just do to the parts.

DoItRight

Creeper said:
... and I'm slightly surprised you don't have a Rem 870 in the mix
Remember: This is going to be purchased with a credit that I have with a specific dealer. These are the available choices that they have in stock.
Creeper said:
Do you intend to do anything else with the gun, or will it sit, waiting behind a door most of it's life?
Truthfully, (aside from being cleaned), that's exactly what it's going to be doing.

Spammy_H

My Preference is the Mossy 500 - probably the best price/performance value on the market for HD / SD shotguns

colostomyclown

Without a doubt the Mossberg. Great customer service (should you need it), rugged, proven design, plenty of aftermarket accessories/ease of finding parts.

inSight-NEO

Although I prefer the 590, Id opt for the 500.. given your choices. As has been mentioned before, there are several positives here: good reliability, good mechanics, good aftermarket parts availability and great CS.

Not that the CD shotgun is crap. Its just that I feel the Mossberg platform is better.

Last edited:

Creeper

I guess I'm just a little surprised DoItRight... that a dealer doesn't have the rather ubiquitous 870 in inventory.
I suppose there are dealers that don't carry Remington... or perhaps they don't want to be in direct competition with the "big box" stores, and the deep price cuts afforded by their buying power.

LE and military have been using 500s for years... so a little dust from behind the door shouldn't have too negative an impact on one.
Who knows... you might step out and pop a few off every now and again. ;)

Cheers,
C

inSight-NEO

I guess I'm just a little surprised DoItRight... that a dealer doesn't have the rather ubiquitous 870 in inventory.

Makes no difference IMHO. The older 870s are certainly of high quality. But, aside from vast aftermarket support, the newer 870s (and at the proposed price range, they would certainly be Express models) are overrated as far as Im concerned.

Stick with Mossberg.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

rc

I'd also suggest a proven mossberg. I would also suggest you consider a 20 guage if your wife is the primary user. A 12 guage with buck is a lot for most women to handle unless they are regular shooters. rc

the rifleer

get the mossberg.

in short- its a much better shotgun. You really don't want a questionable shotgun in an HD situation. the daly would probably work just fine, but the mossberg is so much better.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
RC, the 20 in most models is a smaller frame so basically the recoil difference is a "wash" tween the 2 but a 12 has variety as well as reduced recoil offerings available. The 20 is limited in HD rounds OTC to #3 or at best #2 buck or slugs in full power. The 12 can be had with 00 buck reduced/controlled recoil loads that make the 20 gauge HD loads feel like a big block chevy hit ya' hit ya by comparison... TEE-RUST me, The 20 500 is my bedside lead slinger and the wife would really need to be "compelled" to grab it...:rolleyes:
Yep... YOU TRY TELLIN' HER IT IS NOT MUCH OF A GUN...:D
I pray to "Saint Happenin" every day to no avail...:eek:
Brent

Carl

I own a Mossberg 500 12 gauge, bought the field model with a 28" barrel, then later bought the 18.5" barrel to go along with it. When I'm at home, I put the short barrel on with one beanbag (less lethal) shell, one 7 1/2 shot shell, one 00 buck shell and one slug in the side saddle carrier ready to go just in case some baddies break in. When I go hunting or shooting, I swap the barrel out for the 28", and it takes literally 30 seconds. It is a quality gun, American made, and it will get the job done. :D

Ian0351

Mossberg 500 all the way! I bought a combo model when I got out of the service and have never been disappointed. Between aftermarket support, proven design, well designed safety catch and other factors mentioned, I would onlt get the Charles Daly if it was WAAAAY cheaper than the mossy.

oletymer

Whatever you get take it out and shoot it to be sure there are no problems and to be familiar with it. Periodically take it and shoot to maintain familiarity and then clean and lube it.