A basic comparison of .380 PPK and Sig 232?

It's been months since I read evaluations of them as competitors. I'm well aware of factory recalls for many recent S&W versions.

With a nice Sig 232 as my first carry handgun, trying to exclde the size difference, what are basic pros and cons of other features between the 232 and the better post-war (French "Made In Ger.", Interarms etc) PPKs in .380?
If jhps don't feed so well in some PPKs, it is Not a concern.

Plan to attend the National Arms Show in Atlanta Feb 28 to possibly look for thee. Have you attended one of these shows?

Last edited:

PSP

It depends on the model P232 you own. The biggest difference may be the weight of the P232 versus the steel PPK. An alloy P232 is quite a bit lighter. Another difference is in the sights. The Sig sights are superior to the Walther's. The Walther is slimmer, though neither are large or hard to conceal.

Size, capacity and triggers are similar.

Thanks for reminding me that there are no clear advantages for either one, other than the obvious size, thickness.

For all of the post-WW2 versions, are almost all spare parts interchangeable within a given .32 or .380 category?

Que

While this will vary from user to user I find the 232 much less prone to slide bite. Having owned and shot an all stainless 232 and a PPK I find the 232 to be a much smoother shooting pistol and for me noticeably more accurate. I currently own a P230 with an alloy frame and I find the shooting quality more similar to the PPK in terms of felt recoil.

carguychris

PSP said:
It depends on the model P232 you own. The biggest difference may be the weight of the P232 versus the steel PPK. An alloy P232 is quite a bit lighter.
It should be pointed out that only the blued and two-tone P232 have an alloy frame. The stainless P232 and its predecessor, the P230SL, have a heavier stainless steel frame.

The length and height of the P232 is actually closer to the Walther PP than the PPK. The PPK is smaller in these dimensions.

The P232 has a positive trigger-actuated firing-pin block for safer DA/off-safe carry. (Of course, it also has no manual safety, but I assume you realize that. :)) The American-made Interarms and earlier German and French-made PP variants lack this feature; the thumb safety "barrel" both locks the firing pin and very solidly blocks the hammer in the SAFE position, but the pistols rely on an inertial firing pin and a small and relatively fragile-looking hammer block when the thumb safety is in the FIRE position. (Disclaimer: I seem to recall that S&W added some "safety" features to the PPK, but I don't know exactly what this consists of.)

The PPK has a very prominent loaded chamber indicator at the rear of the slide. As with numerous other modern Euro pistols, the extractor of the P232 doubles as the LCI, but IMHO the difference in position is not very noticeable.
Ignition Override said:
For all of the post-WW2 versions, are almost all spare parts interchangeable within a given .32 or .380 category?
AFAIK yes, but I've been told by a 'smith that the PPK decocking system takes some hand fitment to make it work properly when swapping parts.

Sgt127

I love Walthers. I have quite a few PP's and PPk's. German, French and American. Blue and stainless. All are in .32 except a German PPK/s in .22. I think the PPK, in .32 is an awesome gun. Its very easy to conceal and very shootable for me. I've never been as impressed with the .380's.

DSC00185.jpg

There is alot of history tied into the Walhters. They are beautifully machined
and crafted firearms.

photo_zps208dbb66.jpg

1a.jpg

For carry, I would get a Sig.

Maybe it was not too clear in the first post that I already have a Sig 232: "with a Sig. *** as my first carry gun". Bought it last summer at the ripe age of 59.

Could there be further discussion about the pros and cons of the post-WW2 PPK (French "Made in West Germany) in .380, or the other PPK .380 manufacturers, as a contrast to the Sig 232?

We are all aware of the size difference. It seems logical to add an actual PPK to my Sauer 38H, Mauser Hsc and Sig 'zu dieser deutscher Familie'. Another benefit is to have a shorter .380 Auto as a summer carry gun in the Memphis climate.

Sgt127: Why were you not impressed with the PPK .380s? If a handgun feeds very well with fmj rounds, that is good enough for me. Or was magazine feed not an issue?

carguychris: Maybe I misunderstood descriptions of the Walther, and that it has an actual decocker function (for a lefty) requiring no safety lever movement to operate in DA, being about as safe to carry hammer down -however it is lowered- on a loaded chamber as with my Sig 232?

Last edited:

Sgt127

First off, I've found very little difference in the German guns and the French. The fit, finish and blueing are very good.

American interarms can be hit and miss. The fit and finish are great, the reliability can be iffy.

American S&W, I think mechanically CAN be very good. I mean, Smith can certainly build a great gun. And, you have factory support.

I have a German Police trade in, that's made by Manhurin. So, I think the Germans didn't really care where they were made, as long as they worked.

Then, we get into the whole thing about the German guns were actually made in France, shipped over to Germany and finished and sold as German guns.

For a blow back gun, the .32 seems alot more comfortable to shoot and more reliable to me. And, it's the caliber the gun was originally designed for. I've had .380's that run well, but every Walther .32 I've ever owned was reliable. I swear, the .32 also has a better trigger. Maybe just because they are older broken in guns.

Bottom line, mechanically, they are all pretty much the same. If you have one that runs well, stop, be happy.

PSP

One big difference between the two is the availability of parts for older Walthers, (not S&W), especially magazines. New mags don't work well in old guns. On the other hand, Sig 230/232 mags fit both models and both calibers, .32acp or .380acp., and are in good supply, (although older mags are of a higher quality).

The Sig's hammer does not rest on the firing pin but is a rebounding hammer and rests up and off the pin.

Last edited: