A Bad S&W Bodyguard .380 Becomes A Refund

Arkhog

Message boards are full of gun owners that either love their gun and want to tell the world or have a complaint about one that didn't live up to expectations. My story involving a BG .380 tells of a negative experience with a positive outcome.

Yesterday I found a check from Smith and Wesson in my mailbox for the full purchase price of my gun including tax.

As gun buyers we all take chances on new guns without knowing the final result. Will it function properly? Will it be accurate? Will we get home and find a horrible flaw that we didn't see in the poorly lit store?

I purchased a BG .380 five months ago. It wouldn't make it through a magazine without a malfunction of some kind. Pick one. It had all of them. I sent it back. It came back with a new extractor. It still had multiple issues. It went back a second time. They replaced the entire upper this time. It had a new slide and barrel, etc. Now the gun had fewer feeding and ejection issues but was producing light primer strikes.

The gun was returned for the third and last time. I told them that I didn't want the firearm to be fixed. I was direct but not mean. I told them to send me a check.

They sent a check. Thank you to the fine folks at Smith and Wesson. The gun was bad. But, in the end, you held up your end of the bargain.

SIMP

All of my communication and exchanges with S&W customer service have been excellent. I hope you're pleased with the outcome of yours.

Hard to beat a good ole' American company with great customer service. Attaboy S&W!

TnTnTn

You would think the manufacturer could figure out a problem and fix it. But good on them for making it right in the final resolution without you being out too much money.

Arkhog

Just the cost of ammo

You would think the manufacturer could figure out a problem and fix it. But good on them for making it right in the final resolution without you being out too much money.

The cost of ammo was the only money lost. I enjoy shooting and don't consider that small amount of money a real loss.

That was well done.

Thank you.

SpareMag

There is no diagnosis of problems anymore. Mfgs have figured out the time spent in diagnosis and repair costs more than a refund or replacement.

This is sad when we want to know the reason for a failure, out of curiosity and involvement with the gun, but understandable in the larger business sense.

Nakanokalronin

S&W sent me a refund check after they had my S&W 500 for 6 months and couldn't make a single replacement in all that time. I never even shot it and found the yolk screw on the floor when I took it out to put it in my range bag. The frame hole was stripped and the entire gun needed to be replaced. After awhile I figured they must only make one, but at least they gave me a refund.

I had sent my M&P FS9 into them for accuracy issues twice. First time they adjusted the rear sight to shoot to far to the left. Second time they replaced the barrel that reduced the groups down 2", but it was still sub-par.

Just yesterday I called them about having stuck followers and bent springs on 7 black color coded M&P 10rd. FS45 magazines and the CS rep said he'd send my 7 new light blue colored springs and updated followers for free.

I've had good customer service from S&W. I just wish I didn't have them use them so much. I have brands of firearms I couldn't comment on how their CS is since I've never needed it.