A .380 barrel in a 9MM?

SIGSHR

The thread about the 9x18 Makorov vs the 9x19 got me thinking if anyone has ever tried a 380 barrel in a 9x19. I recall articles where shooters said they got good result using a 9x19 barrel in a 38 Super, it seems to me a 380 barrel would work in a 9MM. No real practical application, but a fun idea.

Walt Sherrill

I don't think you'll find a .380 or 9x18 barrel for a 9mm gun -- primarily because it doesn't make sense: why put a smaller round in a larger gun, when the smaller round doesn't perform as well as the standard round, and generally costs more to shoot? The main advantage of the .380 or 9x18 round is that it can be used in a much smaller gun; if you are using a larger platform, you've gained nothing. (Around here, .380 and 9x18 costs a good bit more than 9x19.)

I suspect the 9x18 or .380 round wouldn't cycle a gun that was designed for the 9x19 round. (The typical 9mm is a locked breech gun, while the typical .380 or 9x18 gun is a blowback. There are a number of exceptions to that broad statement, but they are exceptions. The .380 and 9x18 rounds are not hot rounds.)

Last edited:

Jim Watson

I doubt it could be made to work, at least not with a simple barrel change.

I once looked hard at a 9x18 Makarov conversion and loaded some powderpuff 9mm P to see if the gun would function. It did but just barely. I did not follow through because the supply of heavy ball Makarov ammunition I was counting on dried up.

spacecoast

A more likely scenario might be loading 9mm brass with what are usually considered to be .380 bullets (jacketed) weighing 90 to 100 grains. There is plenty of reloading data for this, the resulting velocities can be as high as 1400 fps, much higher than a .380 cartridge would be capable of with the same bullet.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Loading 9x19 with a 90 grain bullet to 1400 fps gives you what amounts to a .30 Mauser or 7.62x25.

Jim