A 357 Super SIG!:Is 10mm necked down to 9mm possible?

New_comer

Hello all!

I was just wondering if such a cartridge was made already.

How do you think it would perform?

A Mach 2 bullet, maybe? :eek:

I imagined putting a 124 gr 9mm Talon slug in it, and the resulting wound would just be horrendous...

Snowdog

Blades beat me to it.
There are also lesser known efforts floating out there as well.

I imagined putting a 124 gr 9mm Talon slug in it, and the resulting wound would just be horrendous...

You don't want to push a bullet designed for circa 1150 FPS to 1500 FPS or so. It usually will not function as intended. You'd end up with core seperation and fragmentation. Sure it'll do damage, but forget the pretty petaled mushroom common with the Talon. You'd might as well go with any other design.

Brad Johnson

What a wuss load...

What a wuss load that would be :D

If you were a REAL man, you'ld want the 440 Cor-Bon. It's a .50 AE case necked down to .44 calibre.

Jeez, what a bunch of wimps around here.... :p

Brad

cheygriz

and neither the 9X25 Dillon or the .440 Cor-Bon is going to be any more effective in stopping a fight than the plain old 9MM Parabellum.

Brad Johnson

I dunno...

Hey, at least with the .440 Cor-Bon you can throw the cartridges at them if your gun jams. They're big and heavy enough to cause a really nasty bruise. :D

Brad

Peter M. Eick

Brad,

That is what I always thought with my 44 automag. When I got through with casings, I figured I would drop the gun on their toes and incapacitate them.....

JohnKSa

Administrator
IMO, this would be the first cartridge that could effectively make use of the 9mm 147grain bullets...

Nightcrawler

and neither the 9X25 Dillon or the .440 Cor-Bon is going to be any more effective in stopping a fight than the plain old 9MM Parabellum.

There is one TFLer that I recall saw the results of a person shot with a .50 Desert Eagle. If I recall correctly, he said the exit hole was so big a human hand could barely cover it.

What does this mean? That's substantially more damage than any Parabellum round could cause. More damage equates into a higher probability of the target being incapacitated.

Does this mean that we should all start carrying .50 DEs? No. But to say that a cartridge that you can take an Grizzly with would be no more effective against a human than 9x19 is to ignore the great difference in wounding capacity between 9x19 and, say, .440 Cor-Bon. Will a 9x19 kill you just as dead? Yes. Is the 9x19 more likely to do it than a cartridge that makes a much larger wound? No.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I guess you've never heard of the 9mm Para or the .38 Super+P.

I'm saying that those calibers don't have the oomph to effectively make use of a 147 grain bullet.

If a heavy, slow moving bullet in 38 caliber were such a great idea then the .357 Mag would never have been invented and .38 special +P would still be state of the art...

Penman

IIRC, the 9x25 Dillon was mainly used for competition, where the increased muzzle blast would be effectively utilized by the recoil compensators on the guns. Greater gas volume provided for greater compensator effectiveness. Muzzle blast sounded like a centerfire rifle.