A 16" Rossi 92 in 357 Magnum

Sarge

I recently traded into a Rossi Model 92 ‘Trapper’ in .357 Magnum. These come with a 16” barrel and weigh under five pounds and measure 33” overall. The photo is of the 92 with a 4” Colt Lawman, for comparison.

Rossi92_Lawman_zps3a03e5c2.jpg

The 16” model was not my first choice. I hunted around for a 20” version, which my dealer's distributor said they had- but could not deliver. The only example I found locally was retail and then some. My preference for the longer barrel was based solely on ballistics and my opinion that the longer rifle might be a little more accurate. While the 357 rifles generate excellent field reports on game, I am a rifleman at heart and 2000 fps was the velocity threshold I hoped to achieve. After some research I settled on a maximum load of 19.0 grains of Winchester 296 using CCI Magnum small primers and the menagerie of cases in my brass pile. So it was time to see how much I’d lost by settling for the 16” barrel. I set up the BetaMaster and checked a few loads from the Rossi and Colt Lawman.

Rossi92_Chrono_zps302b2fa2.jpg

Results were better than expected.

The aforementioned XTP load generated 2000 fps, +/- 5 fps depending on the brand of case used. The Colt averaged 1240 fps with this load.

Federal’s old 158 grain 357 jacketed softpoint averaged 1729 fps from the 16” Rossi and 1173 fps from the Colt.

Remington’s 125 grain JHP averaged 2101 fps from the Rossi and 1418 fps from the Colt. My current cast bullet load uses a Missouri Bullet cast 125 grain RNFP and 5.3 grains of HP38, with a CCI standard small pistol primer. The Rossi 92 averaged 1065 fps with this load and the old Lawman spits them out at 815 fps. They are essentially a 36 caliber version of the 22 LR. Recoil with these loads was barely noticeable end even the hottest loads were a cake-walk in the Model 92.

Does it shoot? The first three shots of the 140 grain XTP load went into ¾ inch at 25 yards.

Rossi_92_25yd_zps7716fb38.jpg

I kept shooting on this target while chronographing and there were several 3-shot clover-leaves by the various loads tested. My glasses are trashed and using my ‘good’ left eye I was able to print several 100 meter, three shot groups with the XTP load measuring 2 ½”. Considering uncorrected vision, a huge bead front sight and 20 mph gusts… I’d say the rifle will shoot.

How hard does it shoot? Everybody has fought a contrary stapler at one time or another. I execute the SOB’s.. This one took a 140 grain XTP at about 2000 fps. You are looking through exit hole at the entrance.

XTP_Destruction_zpsb06bec57.jpg

The Trapper is not perfect. It all but refused to feed any Remington semi-jacketed load. Success with the 38 RNPF load is dependent on a light hand on the lever. Thankfully, my XTP hunting load fed perfectly but any 357 load must be cycled with authority. The Trapper’s sights are too coarse for serious accuracy and its trigger pulls is over six pounds. Still, I like it. I will sort out its gremlins, kill some things with it enjoy its versatility. I have coffee cans of reloads to feed it from. This one is going to be fun.

SIGSHR

Hey, was that stapler in season ? And will you display on your trophy wall?
Very nice shooting, IMHO that accuracy makes up for any loss in velocity.

Targa

Very nice !! I just picked up the same rifle in .44 mag Tuesday. I plan on taking it out Monday, hopefully i'll have similiar results. I also wanted the 20" but none were to be found and the price they were selling just lured me in. Congrats, have fun.

Sarge

Thank you all for the compliments.

I checked the Remington 125 grain SJHP .357 ammo that wouldn't feed in the 92. Guess what? insufficient crimp at the factory, who'd a thought it? I'll run it through my crimping die if necessary. At 1400+ from the revolver and 2100+ from the carbine, I'm not letting it grow mold.

my only issue with the 16's is my understanding that they don't hold 10 rounds... kinda a big deal for CAS shooting... not that that is anywhere close to the only thing I do with my lever guns, but with the expense, I look for the versatility

Sarge

I see this one staying, Dremel... too handy, plenty accurate, has useful power and is cheap to shoot.

I'm almost sure I put 10 38's in it the the other day MWM, but I'll check it this weekend & let you know.

Sarge

My 16" carbine will easily accommodate ten 38 Specials loaded with 125 grain MO Bullet Co flat points. The 11th one ain't going in there at all.

10-96

Nice write up, nice shooting, nice loads, nice rifle. Man I wish I could do that to a couple staplers!

farmall

I too, wanted the 20", but had to settle for the 16" version. Looking back, I'm glad I got it. One of my most often shot rifles! Reliable, accurate, and fast handling.
Put the ejector spring from Stevesgunz in, and you will be amazed how much the action smooths out!

Water-Man

I'd caution you about using the Hornady XTP in your levergun for hunting.

The bullet runs into problems with velocity over 1600 fps.

Check the Hornady website.

bamaranger

.357 lever

I've got a Marlin, and have likely launched more lead from it than any rifle I own, excluding .22's. One mod that I'd suggest, if you can do so, and have no aversion to the things, is some type of peep/aperture. It'll near double your sight radius, and should give an increase in obtainable accuracy too. For me, I find peeps slightly faster (ghost rings) also.

Your rifle of course, but I thought I'd mention it. You'll not be disappointed in your .357 lever and its versatility.

Sarge

I hear you on the aperture sight, Bama. This stubby little thing wants to shoot and more sight radius wouldn't hurt.

As to hunting with the XTP at carbine velocities... common sense is the by-word anytime you're over-running a bullet and you place them accordingly.

Last edited:

Sarge

Rossi 92 Sight Redux

The issue sights on 16” Rossi 92’s consist of an odd semi-buckhorn rear and a large brass bead front sight. With the gun’s 12 ½” sight radius, the bead looks like a brass hubcap. At 0.650” high, it’s just waiting to get hooked on something. The rear sight’s ‘horns’ interfere with your peripheral vision of the target. In short, they unnecessarily complicate precise shooting.
R92Rear_zps56b5ddc1.jpg

R92Front_zpsc8f1f78d.jpg

I’ve always liked the flat-top sights on pre-64, ‘94 Winchesters. Coupled with a fine bead, I shoot them better than any other iron sight. So I decided to modify the Rossi’s OEM rear sight with three goals in mind-

1. Simulate the Winchester sight picture
2. Lower the sighting plane substantially
3. Field unobtrusive sights, with no sharp edges.

Armed with a belt sander, files and a Dremel tool, I was a force to be reckoned with! I lowered the rear sight enough that it was necessary to cut a new notch with a cutoff wheel. After little dehorning and baptism in cold blue, it looks like this:
R92_SightRedux_1_zps86f6e2ed.jpg

I had a spare Marbles 450W with the 1/16” white bead, which fits Rossi’s oddball dovetail and is infinitely sturdier (and .200 shorter) than the factory offering.
R92_SightRedux_2_zps314c82e3.jpg

The end result (alignment notwithstanding) looks something like this.
R92_SightRedux_3_zpsff0494b9.jpg

These sights were essentially ‘on’ where I centered them and using the 140 XTP 357 load, anything you put the bead on at 100 meters grows a 35 caliber hole through it. Low-effort, rested 3 shot groups hovered at two inches, a half inch better than I was doing with the OEM sights. Shooting unsupported at 25 paces, two of my 125 grain RNFP 38 loads made that many holes in an empty 12 gauge hull. This is a substantial improvement and I didn't have to Send Money to anybody.