9x23 what guns are out there?

IM_Lugger

Are there any current production guns chambered in 9x23 mm?

Just wondering how come it's not more popular; 125gr at 1450 fps sound pretty good to me...

btw 9x23 bullet diameter is .355" right?

What, the .38 Super isn't obscure enough for you?:D

I've always been interested in the 9x23 but it's a real odd-ball in the US as far as I know. If there are pistols and ammo out there I've never run across them.

pinotguy

9x23 what guns are out there?

Are there any current production guns chambered in 9x23 mm?

Just wondering how come it's not more popular; 125gr at 1450 fps sound pretty good to me...

btw 9x23 bullet diameter is .355" right?

Currently there are no production guns offered in 9x23 Win. It's just not popular enough. Colt and Springfield both offered 1911's in this caliber but that was some time ago. I still see a few of these on the auction sites from time to time but they're usually way over-priced. I'm a huge fan of this cartridge, so much so that I had a custom 1911 Commander built in it.

The round, at one time, had a pretty good size following among the IPSC crowd but that seems to have waned. (This was when Colt and SA both made the pistols.)

Winchester and Corbon still make ammo. It's pricey and difficult to find though. Winchester and Starline also make brass and this is definitely a "re-loaders" cartridge. Yes, the bullet diameter is .355. While I don't reload myself, 9mm bullet selection is such that you can have a lot of versatility with this round.

Last edited:

ranburr

You can safely fire 9x23 out of a Witness .38 Super. You can also get a 1911 .38 Super and just throw in a 9x23 barrel.

ranburr

Moloch

What about the 9x25? A lot more common and can be loaded to even more performance if you want! Of the 9x19, 9x19+p+, 9x23, and .357 SIG the 9x25 is the true Pistols .357 magnum! 124 @ 1600-1700 fp/s kawoosh!:D

pinotguy

What about the 9x25? A lot more common and can be loaded to even more performance if you want!

I'm not totally convinced that the 9x25 Dillon is any more common than 9x23 Win. Currently only Double Tap offers factory ammo for it. Were there production pistols made in 9x25? I can't remember. I do like the x25 and would love to have a long-slide 1911 in this caliber some day. It does have more case capacity so it can be made to go faster.

(Just for kicks, anybody remember the 38 Casull? You want to talk about HOT, that thing absolutely screamed.)

Last edited:

StrawDog

It isn't really a production gun, but but Les Baer builds a 1911 in 9x23 with a supported chamber. I've got a 9x19 P2 which I think could be fitted with another barrel. The cost is more than some would like but it is a very nice gun.

eerw

as others have said..there are no current production guns out there..

Colt and Springfield made 1911s for it..that's about it.

conversions and customs can easily be done on 1911s. a 38 super or 9mm 1911 can be converted..in several ways..rebarrel it, rechamber it or use the existing 38 super barrel ( if you do this..better be using factory Winchester brass as it is the thickest out there)
Other conversion have successfully have been done on the EAA Witness large frame gun, the Glock G20, Colt AR15 and the Smith 940.

it is a pretty cool caliber..and does make a good carry gun caliber.