9x18 SD ammo if you don't reload?

almark

Been thinking about getting a mak in 9x18 for ccw but was wondering about ammo choices. So, what self defense ammo is available if you don't reload? Barnaul JHP, Silver Bear JHP... what else? Also, anyone have any experience with any of this stuff? Any particular brand you find more reliable or believe to be more effective? Thanks!

juliet charley

Any of the FMJ that has proven reliable will be fine. I use Barnaul because I have two cases, and it has proven 100% reliable for me.

Avoid JHPs--even the designer stuff--they consistently underpenetrate when they expand. They are bad combination more expensive and less effective

Teakwood

Personally, I prefer the 95 gr FMJ. My favorite source is Barnaul or Brown Bear (made by the LVE plant in Novosibirsk).
As to other sources, the Fiocchi is favored by many,

I do not go for the heavier weight Wolf or Silver Bear rounds. I have had feeding and fail-to-fire problems with them in the past.

One can also try Winchester and Hornady, but their stuff is pricey.

ScaryWoody

I carry Hornady JHP. I routinely shoot the Wolf and Fiochi stuff but for a self defense round the Hornady has proven reliable in my Mak. I do wish there were more choices though.

Webleymkv

I carry a .32 acp Walther and had the same dillema. I wanted expansion but worried about underpenetration from JHP's. So I stagger the magazine between S&B FMJ's and Winchester Silvertips. I would suggest you stagger your mags with S&B FMJ's and Hornady JHP's.

Eric Larsen

I think Corbon needs to make Powerball in Makarov....very hot loads that will penetrate. I remember them saying it was on the dwg. table a while ago.
I carry Barnaul JHP's.........and only HP's. Just me.............:D
Shoot well.

saands

I like the Hornady XTP-HP's but the loads from Hornady seem to be pretty mild. I shoot the Russian stuff for practive but load my own with Starline brass and XTP-HP bullets to Cor-bon's velocities for more serious applications. It's important to remember that a 9x18 will NEVER be a 9x19, but that doesn't mean that it has to be HALF of a 9x19, either ;)

Saands

wyrdone

Georgia Arms has some nice JHP using Hornady XTP 95gr bullets in Starline Brass. Pkg of 50 for $11.50. Loaded pretty hot at about 1100-1150fps according to a friends chrono.

They feed VERY well in my Bulgy Makarov (not a single misfeed in over 150 rds) and while I'm not a great shot I can do 2-3" groups of 10 at 25ft with the occasional flier.

saands

That's a great price for the GA XTP ammo ... just the brass and the bullets run me $9.00/50 if I buy in small lots of 100 ... almost makes me wonder why I bother ...

Saands