9x18... quality ammo?

Chris Phelps

I have my eye on a CCW right now, and it is chambered in 9x18. Are there any quality rounds available in this chamber? Are there any inherent problems with this round?

novaDAK

I think Hornady makes an XTP jhp load in 9x18 mak, and the russian Silver Bear company also makes a jhp.

problem is, it will expand but (usually) not penetrate the 12" min.

Then there is the basic fmj Wolf, etc. that will penetrate very well but not expand.

bluetopper

The cheapest and most plentiful way to purchase 9x18 is buying in bulk online unless you live where Academy Sports stores are then you can buy their Monarch brand of ammo.
Some will recommend as do I of carrying FMJ in 9x18 to get maximum penetration. The cheaper Russian made ammo is quite adequate.

roman3

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=299

Fantastic info here on all sorts of Mak ammo.

FMJ is usually the better penetrator and my favorite was PS Grand (and one of the best, which is very hard to find)

The older corbon HP's were also excellent but are no longer made.
Corbon Powerball is promising. The Hornady is a HP with an under 1000 FPS velocity.

Unfortunately much of the Mak ammo is somewhat anemic, less than 1000 FPS velocity, on the good side the Mak is the AK of pistols, steel, brass, copper, stone or rubber cased ammo these things will usually eat them up and never miss a beat.

Some had problems with the 120 grain Silver Bear choking their guns.

7" of jello is not what I would call "good penetration".

The Hornady XTP load has a penetration problem. I don't know if the expansion eats up too much energy or if Hornady is just not willing to load the rounds to the limits of the 9x18 platform, but whatever is going on is not good.

I once got a bad box of the silver bear, so I have no confidence in that load either. Other folks have had better luck.

I go with FMJ in my makarov when I carry it.

Chris Phelps

So it sounds like 9x18 would be a reasonable choice of caliber to add to the collection, huh?

I am looking at one that is "PPK Style" for $99.00 Seems decent enough.