9MM vs 45ACP

I like ___ the best

• 9 MM

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • 45 ACP

Votes: 43 51.2%

• Total voters

griz

I know there have been many threads on this topic but I thought a poll might get some quick response from folks who are tired of posting on the topic. With thousands of members maybe TFL might resolve the dispute.

chrismc1

9mm vs. 45ACP

Do your part, and either will do its. I prefer the 9mm to the .45 because can hit what I aim at with the 9mm.

Aahzz

I tend to like the 9 'cuz I can afford to shoot more of them. More practice makes for better shot placement :D .

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
From the Heart Of Dixie,

Y' here in these woods .45ACP is topps!!!:D:)

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

DAVID NANCARROW

I doubt there will be any resolution to this topic because its what you prefer and how well you can hit with it. I shot my first 45 at Ft. Sam Houston, Texas many years ago, and my personal love affair with the 45 and the 1911 continues!

Kermit

Really like the 45. Nice BIG bullet leaving nice big holes. Never was one to believe in that "less is more" theory. In this case, "MORE IS MORE!" ;):rolleyes:

Arub

I dislike the .45 ACP mostly due to the experiences I have had with them. Initial usage was Marine Corps issue, which generally had worn barrel bushings and pretty well use over all. Accuracy was adequate for close quarter combat and use in tunnels, but sucked for range use, including qualifications. To qualify, several rounds had to be fired on target to see where a particular weapon would hit, you would post black stickers/pastees (not the kind I like) to compenate for the inherent inaccuracy.

With that kind of introduction, I have never trusted a .45 for accuracy since. I know there exist better .45s than military issue, but I just can't overcome my experiences with them and am unwilling to put down any money for something I expect not to like.

My intro to a 9mm was a Star when I was about 18. It was used, but functioned great and was fairly accurate. Round two with a 9mm was a Browning HP (privately purchased) I carried instead of the standard .38 issued to us air wingers. It was dead on accurate, provided terrific fire power and was better than anything the Corps had to offer as standard issue.

The Observer

I prefer a .45 - Why? I can hit a target at "A" with 3 bullets succeedingly. I am wondering why too many said, that .45 is hard to shoot when in fact, if you use a 5" barelled one, it has a good balance. That is just my own opinion.

Redlg155

As for the caliber vs caliber issue, I wouldn't want to stand in front of either one of them.

Arub,
I agree that military weapons are atrocious when it comes to accuracy. Especially the .45 Autos. I was an armorer in the Army for several years and I have seen all manner of .45's from various makers cross my path. We mostly called them "Frankenstein "guns because of the hodgepodge of various parts that were used to replace worn or broken parts.

When it comes to "inherent" accuracy, the .45 is one of the most accurate cartridges ever designed. The problem was not the cartridge itself, but rather the platform it was launched from. I have seen more accurate .45's than I have seen 9mm, but then that really goes to prove nothing because the accuracy potential is there with both cartridges.

Now the .40 may be another story....:rolleyes: :D

Good Shooting
RED

C.R.Sam

If the shot is precisely placed......doesn't matter much.

But if you have to destroy something with a medium caliber, use the 9X32R with large frame only full boogie load.

Sam

Wild Romanian

I like both cartridges but I enjoy shooting the 9mm much more because it recoils less when comparing full power 9mm to full power .45acp. The 9 is more economical to shoot. Contrary to urban legend the 9 is just as accurate as the .45. I currently shoot a Sig-Neuhausen P210 and it is in 9mm and shoots 1/2 inch groups out of my ransom rest. The load is 4 grains of bullseye with the Lyman 121 grain conical bullet. It is lubed with 50/50 alox lube. The light recoil enables me to shoot all afternoon with little recoil fatigue. The p210 outshoots some of my friends custom built 1911's thereby dispelling the urban legend that the 9 is not an accurate caliber. W.R.