9mm testing, 124g berry's RN with AA #7

Shadow9mm

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Warning given due to using small rifle primers, all other data is within published specifications.

Tested some AA #7 today in 9mm, thought I would share. Got some interesting results and found a good looking consistent window to do some more testing in. It does seem to use a good bit more powder than other options, and does not give the velocity performance of power pistol, but seems like it may get a good solid training load out of it.

Test gun 5th gen G19, 4.02in barrel
Berry's plated 124g Round Nose
COL 1.150
Head stamp, mixed
Primers Winchester small rifle
outside, temp 35F

5 rounds per test group

6.6 AVG 856, SD 30.50, ES 75, did not cycle action, fired brass still in chamber
6.8 AVG 941, SD 16.50, ES 41
7.0 AVG 985, SD 36.49, ES 96
7.2 AVG 1013, SD 18.04, ES 46
7.4 AVG 1061, SD 6.05, ES 16
7.6 AVG 1069, SD 8.93, ES 20
7.8 AVG 1120 SD 26.42, ES 57

Loaded up 15rnds at 7.6g to run over the chronograph to get a better data set before I finalize the load. Will hopefully be able to test Friday or Saturday, weather permitting. Will update when I do.

Last edited:

Mike / Tx

I load 7.0grs and CCI SP primers with their thick plated HB version and their regular FB. I'm getting on average about 1015 fps from my P226 and that is one of the most accurate loads I have for it.

Years back the container used to have something along the lines of "developed for the 9mm" on the label. Figured might as well try it, and glad I did. I usually use Bullseye for most of my target practices but do keep a pile of the #7 load around.

Shadow9mm

I think the smal rifle primers are creating more pressure and unsettling the bullets early. Getting fouling around the case mouths on every load I have used them with. But they are all I have. I suspect I would get better velocity with standard small pistol