9mm suggestion please

Wildshot

I have a Ruger LC9. I have nothing bad to say about it. It is like buying a pair of shoes. If you do not get the right size, they will be uncomfortable and you won't wear them. Well that is what happened. I tried very hard to make this pistol fit and failed. The DAO trigger pull is very uncomfortable for me. By the time I have pulled the trigger to almost firing, I have to change my grip slightly to make it go bang and then I am way off target. Tried and tried and even got an instructor to help. This gun and I are just not ergonomically compatible. So I am taking it to a gun show this coming week-end and see if I can find a trade. I set some items that the new gun must meet.
@ 9mm
@ No DAO
@ Weight about 1 lb. 8 oz.
@ length around 7"
@ price under $600
The first 2 are carved in stone, I would concider variations in the rest. This is pretty close to what I now carry in a .380.
So far what I am going to look at is CZ in the P series and Beretta PX4 storm compact and sub-compact.
Anybody have any other suggestions for my consideration.

Marquezj16

SP2022

Action: Semi-auto
Caliber: 9mm
Size: Medium
Length: 7.4"
Height: 5.7"
Weight: 1.8125 pounds
Trigger: Single-action/double-action
Trigger Pull: 4.4(SA) 10(DA) pounds
Barrel Length: 3.9"
Sights: Contrast sightsSIGLITE night sights
Slide Material: Steel/nitron
Frame Material: Black Polymer
Grip: Textured
Capacity: 10/15
Website: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sp2022.aspx
Features: Accessory rail; and interchangeable grips
MSRP: $494.00

sigarms228

In addition to the awesome SP2022 I would also check out the Walther P99 AS, Walther PPQ, and Glock 19. Once you handle one of the Walthers and dry fire it is very hard to put them down without buying.

Now if you are lucky enough happen to find a really nice used SIG P228 that would trump all others IMO.

Last edited:

Justice06RR

Here are a couple more suggestions:

Smith and Wesson M&P9
Springfield Armory XD9
Ruger SR9

All these above come in full size and compact models.

RC20

I got my SP2022 with night sights for under $400. Currently they are running $425 with some shopping.

I have shot the HK P30 and like it a lot, though the Sig matches it everywhere but the grip. The HK grip is just fantastic, the Sig grip is merely very good.

Sig has a very solid feel (and probably a bit heavier than some).

Quality wise it equals guns twice the price.

Coming from a revolver background I am perfectly comfortable with cocking the gun. While its not a 1911 trigger, its a good one.

Reports on reliability are almost universally good. I bought mine blind as none in town at the time. One of the best purchases I have ever done.

Put a laser on it and enjoy the range work (eye not so good with iron sights, particularly at night.) Standard rail now which is another huge plus.

Mrgunsngear

M&P9c, Glock 19/26, or for DA/SA FNX9. I'm going to fire the 2022 this weekend so maybe it'll be added to the list but I can't say yet. The guns I mentioned above are great and I trust my life to all of them.

pgdion

If the PX4 is on your list then you should also check out the Cougar. A little heavier (alloy frame), a little smaller (way shorter than 7"), 9mm with 15rds, DA/SA, feels great in the hand. I like this grip best of all my pistols. And best of all, the Cougars have a great price (run about $400 new).

Cougar PX4
Length 7.00 7.55
Width 1.30 1.42
Height 5.5 5.5
Barrel Length 3.6 4.0
Cartridge 9mm 9mm
Rounds (mag) 15 17
Weight 33.0 27.7

Skans

None of the guns mentioned are nearly as small as the LC9. The only thing that comes to mind (and its still DAO) is the Rhorbaugh R9. Also, some folks like the Keltec PF9 trigger over the LC9. I liked the Ruger trigger better.

I suppose you cold go with something like a Detonics Pocket 9. Being all stainless, it's heavy and you might need to do some work on it to make it reliable enough for carry - it is da/sa.

good choice on the cz (p01 and pcr)

in addition, if you can find one, take a look at the p7 psp. it is a completely unique trigger, but most people love it. much heavier than you specified, but the size is still compact.

i'm with you on the lcp dao trigger (or other pocket pistols like the pf9). i would, however, give the "striker fire" pistols a try. many people confuse these for dao, but in truth, it's closer to a sao. glocks are the most poplular, but i am actually more fond of my walther pps. it gets much closer in size and weight to your lcp. i would definitely choose the pps over the p99.

BigJimP

Its a hair over 1.5 lbs ....but a Sig 239 is certainly worth a serious look as well....in my view. The list price is a little higher ...but there are lots of very good used Sig 239's out there .../ and I have big hands ...and its as small as I can go ...and still have a gun I can shoot very effectively.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p239.aspx

but all of this comes down to what fits your hands the best ....and what you shoot the best ...and as you've found out .../what looks good at a gun counter may not be the right choice. Get to a range and shoot some more guns ...and find out about the triggers, controls, grip size, how the triggers reset, etc ...so you can make a better decision this time.

kinoons

I have the Pleasure of owning a walther pps and p99, as well as an hk p7m8. I can confidently say any of the three would work very well for most people.

tahunua001

you could try a springfield XD9 subcompact. the only thing is it it is neither SAO or DAO, it fits somewhere in the middle but closer to SAO. still a nice gun and usually runs in the 400 dollar range, on tradein you'll probably get it for 250 or so

Jim243

Just a suggestion:

Jim

SAM_0501.jpg