9mm sticking in chamber on xds

ghbucky

I have Springfield XDS and XDM, both in 9mm.

My reloads run flawlessly in the 5 in XDM. They also run fine in my 3.3in XDS.

BUT... If I try to extract a loaded round from the XDS, they will often stick in the chamber, and if I try to force an extraction, the extractor will release before the round is pulled out. In short, I cannot extract the round, I have to fire it.

This is particularly nasty because to field strip the XDS you have to pull the trigger while in battery.

The exact same round will extract just fine out of the XDM.

I'm flummoxed by what is going on here.

Any insight?

74A95

Do the plunk test with your reloads in the troublesome gun. It sounds like the bullets might be hitting and sticking in the riflings because they bullet is seated too long. The cure would be to seat the bullet deeper.

What are your load specs, bullet and OAL?

std7mag

More than likely your COAL is too long.
I've had this with 2 different XDS.
Bullet is being shoved into the lands of the barrel.

Good news is you have a good taper crimp!
Pistol full of powder sucks! ;)

ghbucky

COAL on an unprimed load is 1.123

Looks like you all are right. I wasn't seeing any marks on the lead bullets at first glance, but a careful exam shows very tiny dimples. So the bullet is hitting the lands.

[edit] Bullet is 125gr LRN.

ghbucky

OK, so in order to get rounds that plunk properly, I have to get to 1.086 OAL.

I don't see any recipes for a length that short. I've never done a load where I was out of synch with a published, tested load.

How should I go about this?

Shotgun Slim

my xds needs to have some loads very short so I don't have the same problem. Depends on the bullet of course. If you need to shorten up an existing load I think you are ok if it's a medium or light load.(Don't try this with a .40 S&W). If it's a heavy load then you need to try a different bullet.

ghbucky

Well, since I'm seating way deeper, I'm going to start from scratch.

But, how do I get to a start load #? Is there a rule of thumb for this?

74A95

There's no clear guidance for how much to reduce depending on how much deeper the bullet must be seated. It depends on the powder and the cartridge and bullet.

What powder(s) are you using and their charge weight?

You can also contact the bullet/powder maker who has data for your bullet and ask them for suggestions. They are usually very good about giving advice.

Grey_Lion

besides COAL - could we get some detail on the components? What projectile are you using? Mixed head stamps or sorted - if sorted - what brass is it?

ghbucky

Bullets are 125 Gr coated lead Round nose

Winchester small pistol primer. Mixed headstamps, but I could sort to Federal Cartridge headstamps, I have a ton of them.

The charge I was using was 5.4gr of Power Pistol. I was in the upper range of the charge, since I was looking to replicate factory recoil. IIRC, I was .2 under max for a 1.120 COL.

I'll call SNS tomorrow.

buckey

Have ran the heck outa a XD-s and all I can say is watch the crimp and OAL. Mixed cases can cause problems and getting the right combo may take some time.

74A95

9mm Data from LYMAN 50th manual:

120 grain lead, OAL = 1.065"
Power Pistol
Start load = 5.0 gr
Max load = 5.6 gr

drop load 0.1 or 0.2 gr since your bullet is a little heavier.

langenc

Copied from ghbucky #4----

""COAL on an unprimed load is 1.123""

My question "is it different for a primed round?"

ghbucky

It was a COAL issue, but I've got that resolved.

9mm Data from LYMAN 50th manual:

120 grain lead, OAL = 1.065"
Power Pistol
Start load = 5.0 gr
Max load = 5.6 gr

drop load 0.1 or 0.2 gr since your bullet is a little heavier.

Indeed. Not sure how I managed to overlook that, but here we are.

Thanks!

DaleA

Lots of folk just lurk around these threads and don't post. Thank you for coming back and telling us how it was resolved---you won't always get a "thank you" but it is appreciated.

44 AMP

Staff
If your bullets are getting stuck in the rifling, its not JUST a COL issue.

Industry spec for the 9mm is 1.169" max loaded length w/bullet.

If your bullets are hitting the lands at less than 1.169" the issue is not the total length, it is the width of the bullet at the length you are using.

The solution is to seat the bullets you have deeper, or change to a different profile bullet.

and yes, seating the bullet deeper means working up the powder charge again.

The most likely reason the ammo is fine in one gun but not in the other is that there is a difference in the length of the leade in the two different barrels. Doesn't take much, a difference of a few thousandths of an inch can be the difference between the bullet being jammed into the rifling, or not.

gwpercle

I have Springfield XDS and XDM, both in 9mm.

My reloads run flawlessly in the 5 in XDM. They also run fine in my 3.3in XDS.

BUT... If I try to extract a loaded round from the XDS, they will often stick in the chamber, and if I try to force an extraction, the extractor will release before the round is pulled out. In short, I cannot extract the round, I have to fire it.

This is particularly nasty because to field strip the XDS you have to pull the trigger while in battery.

The exact same round will extract just fine out of the XDM.

I'm flummoxed by what is going on here.

Any insight?
New guns have little or no throats , bullet seating depth is critical ...keep seating the bullets just a little deeper until they will chamber and extract .
another option is to have the barrel throated to accept the bullet .
Option #3 change the bullet profile .

The bullet is getting into the rifling and the rifling hangs on to it and causes the
problem . Throating cuts away a little rifling and lets the bullet seat without jamming into the rifling .
Gary