9mm "Sterling" brand Turkish ammo any good?

zippyfusenet

I shot a 50 round box of Sterling 9mm FMJ at the range last week. No malfunctions. I didn't notice any problems. It threw some sparks from the muzzle. It was the cheapest that range had, about $22/box. I can get a better price buying other brands in bulk.

TunnelRat

I shot a 50 round box of Sterling 9mm FMJ at the range last week. No malfunctions. I didn't notice any problems. It threw some sparks from the muzzle. It was the cheapest that range had, about $22/box. I can get a better price buying other brands in bulk.

Given what you can find that ammo for online, than range is making a healthy profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TunnelRat

I took a shotgun course recently and one of the students was using all Sterling ammunition, birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. The birdshot was fine, the buckshot had quite the spread as we backed up but not unheard of, and the slugs were on the verge of dangerous. By 15 yd the slugs were on the edges of full-size cardboard targets. The student, who is an NRA instructor, couldn’t understand why he was shooting so poorly. He switched ammo to the Winchester slugs the other students were using and his groups tightened up dramatically. When we looked at the slugs we could see all of them were misshapen, throwing aerodynamics to the wind. This is my only experience with Sterling ammunition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 AMP

Staff
Don't know about the ammo, no personal experience with it, but I suggest you check it to see if it is corrosive. What's written or not written on the box is not a guarantee, particularly with foreign made materials.

My personal test is to pull down one round, get a steel putty knife, put it in front of the muzzle and pop the primer so it sprays the putty knife blade.

Clean the gun as if it had fired corrosive ammo, and put the putty knife on a shelf for a day or three, then check it for rust. Corrosive primed ammo will have started the putty knife blade rusting.

Good luck!

Drm50

Shot some 9mm in several pistols. Brn HP, Kimber Solo, S&W 39 and S&W M&P. Had a couple hang fires that were unnerving. 1 dud, which is no big deal with QC on ammo. It seems to smoke and wasn’t very accurate. Smells like it’s loaded with Camel poo. About same quality as the Herters Cabelas peddles.
We have had no problems with Win White Box. The Brn HP is comp version and if you miss with it, it’s your fault. It gives us benchmark when trying out ammo.

rc

I think herters was using Russian steel case in 223 and 7.62 russian. Have they switched country of origin now?

Drm50

I may be wrong but I think Herters is repackaged from random buys. In other words they buy cheapest lot they can get at any given time. That may be over implication of some kind of open contracts.

rmh3481

I think I would pass on any of the Turk Ammo. Ive heard of light charges and in this case, heavy charges. Ive also seen blown cases and dead primers. Looked like a double charge although in 9mm that would be compressed. Who knows. The Turk ammo has been having problems for a couple years now and I just wouldnt want any of those problems coming home with me. Stick with US made Winchester White Box, Fed, Rem or Blazer Brass.