9mm small primer

John D

Loading a batch of 9mm today and I must have picked up a stray case. When I tried to seat the primer, I faced resistance (Dillon 550). I stopped and removed the case and found this unusual piece of brass. I don't recognize the head stamp (9 MM 41) and the primer hole is just way to small. Anyone ever run across this?

Attachments

• 9mm PDF.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 173

pete2

I can't tell for sure but you may have punched the bottom of the primer out leaving a ring in the primer pocket. Primer may also have been crimped in, this appears to be a military case. Chunk it.

BillM

It appears that the outer ring of the primer is still in the case? Not unusual in
old military crimp ammo. Toss it.

It appears to be a 9mm round made in 1941 by Defense Industries in Canada. WWII
ammo, not sure if the primers were corrosive or not.

One thing it is NOT is a piece of Nato brass. Nato didn't exist until 1949.

Jim Watson

Agree, looks like a "ringer" with the primer bonded to the pocket and the top punched out. Common enough that commercial reloaders have "ringer detectors" for their Camdexes.

I have a stock of once fired TZZ .45s that gives some ringers. I suspect because it was chemically cleaned and not rinsed well.

WWII Canadian 9mm was noncorrosive and good quality. I guess the large majority went to Sten guns, some to Inglis Brownings; but it sure shot well in a Luger.

mikld

I agree with the "ringer" diagnosis. The ring looks to big/thick to be a crimp. I've picked out a few from older military brass, but none from "modern" cases...

reddog81

I always hand sort my 9mm cases. Too many potential problems otherwise - military cases, cases with an internal step, very similar in size to .380...

44 AMP

Staff
get some needle nose pliers and get a grip on that "lip" and pry. It should be readily apparent if it is part of the case, or not.

Reloader270

I had been reloading some 9mmP loads for my son in law with an older RCBS Carbide Set. I had about 10 cases with undersized flash holes. The older decapping pins does not have the head and therefore it got stuck in the case. Had to remove them one by one. Now I understand why most reloading companies had changed to the headed decapping pins.