9mm semi-auto suggestions

meat

I'm looking for a good 9mm that would serve a variety of roles, but it's primary role would be to go to the range and practice, practice, practice. I want a gun that will feed a variety of ammo reliably, stand up to lots of range time, that is easy to clean and maintain, and could be good to use for home defense in a pinch. But it's main use will definitely be for just learning and shooting. I've tried and owned a cz-75, but have had some problems w/ it (ammo feeding and magazine problems, tried to have the problems fixed but not to much avail). It has become more of a frustration than a good tool for learning to shooting (even my range instructor has problems w/ it which definitely indicates some problems) and I hope to trade it in on something better. I'm looking at Sig's because they seem to receive pretty good reviews on this site. I'm not really interested in glocks, browning hi-powers, or rugers ( I've shot them and not really liked them). I know this really limits suggestions :confused: , but any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Watch-Six

It sounds like you have tried out most of the options and prefer the Sig. So get it. You won't be disappointed. Watch-Six

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you have nothing against the 1911 type, don't overlook the Colt Combat Commander. They are often available cheap, are very durable and highly reliable, plus many parts interchange with the standard .45 pistols.

There are dozens of others, the names are almost a litany: Beretta, Browning, Kahr, S&W, Walther, SIG, Taurus, etc., etc.

You might try to find a range that rents guns and try several, or ask your friends to let you try whatever they have. That could help you decide.

Jim

Snowdog

Without a price limit, there are too many excellent candidates to list... but Sig sits towards the top of the heap.

Sigs will fill a variety of roles, but if target sessions are the primary function, the Sig makes for a great learning tool.

Bottom line, if cost is of no concern, then get what you really want.

Zoso

Not much to choose from.

You have ruled out my main choice, but going what you have left the sig is a terrific weapon, but I think it is grossly overpriced. The Beretta would have to fall in behind it, but you have a small hand the Beretta probably won't fit you well.

CastleBravo

As an aside, D.R. Middlebrooks will make your CZ reliable for $75 +S/H. He specializes in CZ-75 pattern guns, so he probably knows a trick or two that other people don't. Might be worth a try before buying something that will cost about 50-100% more than the MSRP of what you have already got... the guns are fundamentally very sound.

http://www.tacticalshooting.com/new/gunsmithing.htm

Otherwise I say go with SigSauer if you can afford it, or a new BHP if you want something similar to the CZ but different.

Richard

I am dumbfounded by your bad luck with a CZ75. I own three and they have been perfect. My pistols that fill your bill of total reliability include the Glock, Sig P226/P228, and Ruger P85 MKII. I have never had a bobble with these pistols. Regards, Richard

Sundance

You don't state a preference for what trigger mechanism you prefer (SA, DA, DAO) so it is hard to narrow it down to one particular model. You say that you don't like Browning Hi-Powers (SA), Glocks (DAO), or Rugers (DA) so that doesn't help as you have eliminated one of each type. So here are my recommendations. If you want a single action, try one of the 1911 varieties on the market that chamber in 9mm...I know Springfield Armory makes one. If you want a double action...Sig is impossible to beat. If you want a double action only...try the Kahr...similar in some aspects to the Glock but constructed entirely of stainless steel and with a completely different trigger mechanism. Personally, I have a fondness for the single action auto over all others for both fun range shooting and self defense alike. So if you are hell bent on getting a 9mm, I say pick up a Springfield 1911 in 9mm and when you become proficient with it, you can always pick up a .45 and not have to adjust to a new trigger mechanism. Numerous .22 conversion kits are available for the 1911 platform as well making practice even cheaper. Nearly a century of dedicated shooters can't be wrong.

Mikul

I love my H&K USP Compact in 9mm.

I've shot at least 6 different brands (Winchester White Box, UMP, Sellier Bellot, Pro Load, of ammunition without trouble. I've had trouble with poorly made reloads (primers sticking out, no powder), but any gun would.

Downside? Lead or plated rounds have issues with the polygonal rifling. If pushed too fast they won't stabilize. Does that mean you can't shoot them? No, but you need to be aware of it. Jacketed rounds will go +P+ and will still fire below the point at which the action will cycle.

20,000+ rounds and as accurate as the day I bought it.

Bob Locke

I noticed no mention of HK USP's in your original post as well. Have you tried one? If not, I suggest that you do prior to making your final decision.

It seems that you've pretty well narrowed the field, so it's probably a Sig or HK for you. IMO, that's not a bad thing at all! :D

M1911

Sig, Glock, HK, Beretta, Kahr, etc. Lots of good guns to choose from. Decide on what type of action your prefer (DA/SA, DAO, or SA) first. Then go to a gun shop and see what fits your hand. If possible, find a place that rents guns and try them out.

M1911

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Makes and model's-

Sound's like Sig is the make for you;
and you ought to try the P228 for model.
Of course theres the P226 (awesome), and
the 9m/m P229 (scarce). But, for a well
balanced firearm; the Sig P228 gets my
vote. Oh! forgot about the single-stack
P225 (excellent firearm).

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

.357SIG

In order:
Beretta 92FS
HK USP 9mm
SIG P226 9mm
Walther P99*

The Beretta has minimal recoil, feeds everything, is durable, and is very reliable. I have tried and/or owned 9mm pistols from most other manufacturers and like the Beretta the most of all. Just because I'm biased toward it (maybe not as much as Ala Dan is toward SIG products;)), doesn't make the others bad choices.

*Never tried this gun before, but all reports find it to be good as well.

chrismc1

Suggestions

Since you've ruled out my weapon of choice, the Browning Hi Power, I have some others that you may find intresting

I don't own but have shot the Walther P99, it sells for about $550-$600

Walther P5, single stack 8rd 9mm, but a first rate weapon. sells for about $800, pricey, but I know some people who have one and said it was well spent.

Walther P1/P.38, A weapon I do know well as I own one, made in 1944, also a single stack 9mm, its a little aged in comparison to newer weapons, but still a battle tested weapon, no complaints. $295-$600.

Eric Larsen

**** H*PPENS

Hey what can you say...somethings gotta give with a cz sometime. I have been lucky. You may want to consider
sending it off to the "cz guy", mentioned earlier. I agree
they are fundamentally sound gun and design. For 75$
it would probably come back better than stock, anyway.
(better than stock? ooh ah...nice gun!)
If not, go for a sig. I do like these guns (SSHHHH!!!!! Dont let my cz's hear that!) Alot! Shoot well

KP95DAO

Pick up and handle a KP95. It is different than the P89 and you now have three types to choose from. The money you save will allow for the purchase of a good holster and several 15 round mags to complement the two ten rounders with the new gun.

Yes, I am predisposed to the KP95. With it I, and my son, have become IDPA National Champions. Does it get any better than that? Well, there is that part about being bumped up in class; darn it.