9mm SD ammo

I 'd like advice on the lowest grain count self defense 9mm ammo that a woman could use in a sub compact pistol like a G43. I can go on Ammoseek & find almost anything from 50 grain hollow points & up.

Perceived &/or real recoil is the only issue along with stopping power.

Thanks. As usual all advice is welcome.

rock185

Doc, As you're looking for the lightest ammo in an effort reduce recoil, the lightest bullet weight might not exhibit the lightest recoil. Standard pressure 147 grain 9MM SD ammo generally has a rather soft/slow recoil impulse as compared to most other 9MM ammo types......

Rob228

I shoot Barnes Tac XP, its 115 grain but to me, the perceived recoil is less than 115 grain target ammo.

Skippy

My understanding is lower weight bullets tend to be snappier than heavier rounds. That said, I'm a recent convert to 9mm (from 45acp) and can tell no difference between 115gr and 147gr when loaded randomly in a magazine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good info here. Remember, we're talking about ammo for "OLDER WOMEN"
not for guys/ladies with stronger grips. Sorry ladies. This is not sexist, just realistic.

Jim Watson

This Older Man is comfortable enough with 115 gr JHP standard speed.
But I compete with 147 gr subsonic and have converted three other shooters in the past week. Worth a look. But the FIRST requirement is reliability, don't get caught up with a flyweight gimmick bullet.

Have her SHOOT THE GUN.

CDR_Glock

I 'd like advice on the lowest grain count self defense 9mm ammo that a woman could use in a sub compact pistol like a G43. I can go on Ammoseek & find almost anything from 50 grain hollow points & up.

Perceived &/or real recoil is the only issue along with stopping power.

Thanks. As usual all advice is welcome.

147 gr bullets are typically slower velocities. In all honesty, try all three grain weights, you may be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

74A95

As stated, try different weights to see which she prefers.

The recoil impulse is different for different bullet weights. The light bullets tend to feel snappy because they accelerate faster to reach their faster speed. The heavier bullets feel more like a 'push' because of their slower acceleration for their lower speed.

Different people have different preferences.

HiBC

Julie Golob is a well known champion shooter. Among her sponsors is S+W.
I listened to her explain her preference for 147 gr 9mm ammo,and it was about the recoil impulse. The term she used was "pogo stick"

As others have said...try them all,without preconceived ideas.

In my S+W M+P 9C,I find the Walmart Win 115 gr 9mm cheap hardball quite mild .

I appreciate your consideration...sometimes recoil looms larger in a gentleman's chivalry than it does in a woman's hand.

A lot of those frail women are stronger and tougher than we give them credit for.They can lay a chef knife on a clove of garlic and smash it,no problem. An hour of vacuuming is routine.Doorknobs are no problem.
Slamming a grocery cart into the rest of the carts to put it away in the grocery store gives as much force/impact to the hand as firing a 9mm.They can enjoy playing softball.
I know,not all women are military,or LEO,or Rhonda Rousey.

But IMO.its a mistake to sell them short. They might slap a knot on you!!

cslinger

147 grain HSTGOLDDOTGOLDENSABREETC. Non plus P.

I find the 147 grain stuff much milder in perceived recoil. G43 is an itty bitty light pistol though and Mother Physics is an unyielding Bi%|?

If the firearm itself is not locked in stone I would highly suggest something a bit larger, even G26 sized/weight.

Brit

Carried 147g Win Ranger T for a few years, used to be called Black Talon.

Recoil manageable, but it shines in the impact zone! Opens up great, goes deep. That is what you should be interested in, what it does to the bad guy.
Always fire twice, at least!

random guy

Barring any special physical conditions, it seems as though any 9mm ammo should be tolerable, if not now, with just a little practice. Maybe stay away from +P, +P+, +P squared, etc but there are many very effective yet moderate loads. I'd use tame target ammo for practice and go for standard pressure ammo with good terminal performance to carry.

You might refer to the Luckygunner ammo tests and tnoutdoor testing on Youtube as a start.

Individual loads vary but Winchester Rangers, Fed HS and Hornady CD seem to perform well. And Speer Gold Dots. Don't know how I forgot them as that is what my pistols are stoked with for SD.

Last edited:

Siggy-06

Usually self defense ammo is loaded a little hotter than target loads. Have you considered loading some hollow points yourself? You could make them mild or wild that way.

saleen322

147 grain standard HP loads would be my recommendation. Not only less recoil but they are great performers in penetration. I like Speer Gold Dots (we use them at work) and we have some small women on staff who do better at the range with them as well. YMMV

JDBerg

If an EDC is going to work for me then it must shoot Hornady XTP Custom / American Gunner JHP's reliably and accurately, in both 115 and 124 grain bullet weights. Some things have to be learned by personal experience and trial & error!