9mm SD ammo question

gb_in_ga

I've been carrying Georgia Arms 9mm +P 124 gr Gold Dot ammo for a number of years now, and have been happy with it. But time has taken its toll on my supply of it. I'm fixing to shoot up the last of my stock of it, and I ventured over to the GA website to take a look at resupply.

Uh-Oh. Where are their Gold Dots? It looks to me like they've replaced their Gold Dot line with Speer Uni-Cores. Yeah, I knew that they were being forced to move away from Gold Dots, but...

Hmm. Yeah, I know that they are made by the same manufacturer. But how do the Uni-Core bullets stand up when compared to their known good Gold Dot counterparts? Has anybody done any objective terminal performance tests on Uni-Core bullets? How do they compare against "Gold Standard" SD bullets like the Gold Dots?

I'd hate to buy up a bunch of them and find out after the fact that they are old technology -- either won't reliably expand and thus overpenetrate, or over expand and won't reliably penetrate enough to get the job done.

The thing is, I've got a good supply on hand of some very nice 9mm +P-ish (on the lower end) handloads I made up that use Remington's 124 gr Golden Saber bullet. (SHTF stockpile) Should be good stuff, very reliable in all my 9mms. The only gotcha is that old canard about carrying handloads...

gb_in_ga

147gr HST.
Not on the radar.

I suppose that I should be more specific.

Are the Speer Uni-Core bullet offerings up to par with Speer's "Gold Standard" Gold Dot bullet offerings in a SD setting? Do the Uni-Cores expand and penetrate as reliably as Gold Dots of a similar weight at similar velocities?

Because if they don't*, then I'm just going to carry what I've already established as a reliable load that uses a known good performing bullet. Mainly because I'm now convinced that the "no handloads" canard is just that -- a canard. At least here, in (what tends to be more objective thinking) Tx. I see no reason why I shouldn't carry handloads other than FUD and from all I can tell it is just that -- FUD. Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

There's no law against it. If you are justified in the shoot, then you are justified in the shoot. It uses conventional, off the shelf components in a conventional manner. If anything, it is a bit less powerful than off-the-shelf premium factory SD ammo. Since I don't buy into the handloads demonization, then where's the beef? Heck, that's just about the only thing I shoot anymore, other than .22lr.

*And I'm just about convinced to carry my handloads even if they do. It is nigh on about time to break with factory loads altogether. They are overpriced and aren't any better than what I turn out myself. I've already done this with my rifles.

Last edited:

tjhands

I'm not aware of ANY Uni-Core bullet passing the FBI's tests for penetration/expansion. As you probably know, their tests are about as unbiased, broad-ranged and extensive as you're likely to find.

Carry what you like, but I'm always more comfortable carrying ammo that I know has passed their tests. In 9mm, my carry choices are 147g Federal HST and 124g +P Gold Dot.

warpig602

I'm not aware of ANY Uni-Core bullet passing the FBI's tests for penetration/expansion. As you probably know, their tests are about as unbiased, broad-ranged and extensive as you're likely to find.

Carry what you like, but I'm always more comfortable carrying ammo that I know has passed their tests. In 9mm, my carry choices are 147g Federal HST and 124g +P Gold Dot.

The tests are based on what will work best in a LE setting, not whats best for a CCW holder. Just because the FBI failed a bullet because it didnt retain X amount of its weight after passing through plywood and glass doesnt mean its not a good rounds, it means its not a good round to the FBI.

warpig602

Also, is it really woth the extra 10 bucks you might save to use your handloads? Most factory SD loads are very well tested and proven, I dont see the real advantage to using handloads other than saving a few bucks.

Webleymkv

If the Uni-Cor's are the same bullets loaded in the CCI Blazer .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum loadings, then no I wouldn't trust them for carry. In water tests that I've seen on youtube, both of these loadings displayed very lackluster, if any, expansion. Generally speaking, if you cant get a JHP to expand in water you probably aren't going to get it to expand in much of anything else as water facilitates the most rapid and aggressive expansion of all common test media (ballistic gel, wetpack, etc).

If you can't get Gold Dots from Georgia Arms anymore, have you considered simply buying loaded ammo from Speer? Speer makes a 124gr +P Gold Dot loading themselves and it can often be found for reasonable prices (a relative term when talking about premium JHP's) in 50-round boxes from LE-contract overruns. Even if you can't find the Gold Dots, there are several other excellent 124-127gr loadings available such as Federal HST and Winchester Ranger that can also be had quite reasonably through LE overruns. My personal favorite 9mm loading is Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ T-Series, but not all guns can handle +P+ ammunition (I shoot it only very sparingly).

WESHOOT2

exactly

Any modern 124--127g HP choice should suffice.

I actually have --in my carry gun :eek:-- Winchester PDX something-or-other.
For testing only; come on....;)

RC20

I picked up a box of Remington Golden Sabre when I got my 9mm

First box after I did my warm up, test fires etc with regualr ammo, I ran two rounds through it, holy crap, two holes side by side at 30 feet. New gun, long time since I could shoot accurate (using a green laser so I can be spot on if I am doing my part). Moved it out to 45 feet, 3 rounds almost touching.

Have used half the box so far making sure it works after each range session and accuracy is spot on.

Lucked out, just good stuff or like the gun. I know it will do its part if I do mine. Its listed up in the better performers even if not the latest whiz bang stuff on the market. A lot of this is mental, if you know its good, then you will shoot it that way.

Anything in 124 to 147 gr should work, try something like it, and then stock some.

Wisdom says run a lot through, I cannot afford that, but I can shoot a few rounds each time, usually at the end to ensure its functioning fine.

Mr.Blue

I buy Gold Dots for my guns, but I don't reload. If I were you, I'd get som XTP bullets from Hornady. Those thing penetrate very well and while they have average expansion diameter, they always expand.

ClydeFrog

Duty-protection type 9x19mm factory rounds...

In the latest Combat Handguns on news stands & retail outlets now is a response by Massad Ayoob(noted author, LE trainer, use of force legal expert).
Ayoob stated he considered the 124-127 grain +P or +P+ 9x19mm JHP the "best" type of ammuition for defense use.
The letter writer(a armed private citizen in AZ) wrote that he used 147gr JHP rounds in his Glock sidearms.
For the 9x19mm, I suggest citizens or armed professionals use these rounds;

Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP, Ranger T 124gr JHP +P(bonded), Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP, Corbon DPX, Hornady TAP or Critical Defense, Federal EFMJ(expanding full metal jacket), Magsafe SWAT, PowRball.

Some of these rounds are not cheap but they are highly rated & well made.

ClydeFrog
www.SGammo.com www.ShopCorbon.com

RC20

The thing is, I've got a good supply on hand of some very nice 9mm +P-ish (on the lower end) handloads I made up that use Remington's 124 gr Golden Saber bullet. (SHTF stockpile) Should be good stuff, very reliable in all my 9mms. The only gotcha is that old canard about carrying handloads...

I know its not considered "the best" but the 124 gr Golden Saber shoots extremely well in my gun, so I am using it. It has a good taper and that ensure reliable feed (not any good if you can't get the round into the chamber). There is also the confidence factor knowing it hits where you put it.

Curious where you got it, have looked and have not been able to find it?

ClydeFrog

Morgue monsters VS Jello Junkies...

The 9x19mm packers here can think or choose what they want. ;)

I choose to base my ammunition picks on real, documented shooting results or the merits based on contract T&Es by major LE agencies.
Ballistics or specs can be impressive but I'd research a load first to see if any LE officers or armed citizens used it first.
My city's PD had issued the Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP round for many years.
The NYPD has authorized the great Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P 9mm with + results.
No handgun round either a .22LR, a 9mmNATO, a 10mm or a .44magnum will have 100% perfect results with any firearm.
Shooting at Jello & shooting at living, breathing human beings are 2 different things too!
A 9mm round with a high vel, a high KE, good/consistant performance & a good street record is the best pick for protection/carry/duty use.

Clydefrog

Thump

I have a small supply of Win/Ranger 127 Grain +P+. It is outstanding!

(Practice with anything that is available, then switch back to the 127 grain for daily carry.)

blume357

Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction here... but I also buy from Georgia Arms... I use 115gr fmj for practiced and then use the gold dot for carry and a couple times a year empty my carry mags...

buy the 115gr fmj by the 500 round bulk case and the gold dots buy the 50round bulk package.

ClydeFrog

124gr JHP +P vs 115gr or 147gr JHP 9x19mm....

Another good reason to choose a decent +P 124gr round over the 115gr or 147gr designs is the ready supply of milspec or NATO type 124gr FMJs for practice/training.
Handgun ammunition costs seem to be quickly moving upward in the last 5-10 years but most ball type practice rounds are fairly priced.