9mm +P Subcompact Pistols

rodwhaincamo

I have been looking over subcompact pistols for my GF. I am interested in 9mm but am concerned about them handling a steady diet of +P ammo.
It seems most companies don't recommend it or that it will void the warranty.
Are there any under 800 that do?
Thanks,
Bob

rodwhaincamo

I am looking at single stack subcompacts.
I'm sorry...I was specific.
But I am looking at double stack compacts for myself and keeping an open mind as far as caliber [I lean towards large calibers].

Duxman

The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.

Try her out with a Kahr MK9, K9 or the polymer versions.

These are very good single stack 9mm sub compacts.

FYI....the subcompact slide is a LOT HARDER to cycle than the full size slide.

PSP

Are there any under 800 that do?

Single stack for your girl;

Any of the Kahr line.
HK P7
Sig P239
S&W 908

Doublestack for you;

used HK P2000sk, new may be $800+
any small Glock

Last edited:

Duxman

I actually shoot Federal Managed Recoil Hydra Shock 147's in my P11 to reduce muzzle flip.

How do you like your P11?

I fired one at a range and I quit after 3 shots. It had more recoil than my 1911 and my 357 magnum with full house loads.

rodwhaincamo

I would want +P in a 9mm because of the reduced velocity of a shortened barrel.
Also LE agencies use that, if not +P+ in 9mm, which would make me believe that it makes it more effective than standard pressures.

NightSleeper

Also LE agencies use that, if not +P+ in 9mm, which would make me believe that it makes it more effective than standard pressures.

Yeah, that's probably the case. But +P or +P+ in a subcompact (i.e. pocket) gun? OUCH .... a full frame sure, but they must buck like crazy in a subcompact.

Duxman

In the end - COM hits with a FMJ 9mm is better than misses or near misses with +P+ HP ammo.

It is more important to practice with the gun (regularly and lots of rounds) and getting training - than getting the fanciest ammo around.

From scratch - and no gun experience - it takes about 3-5K rounds to really know your gun and what it can do. With a good instructor and regular training you can drop this to 500 to 1500 rounds.

mete

There are small 9mm pistols that won't take +P. Corbon DPX has a new standard pressure but high performance load with a 95 gr all copper bullet developed for that situation !:)

rodwhaincamo

I've been considering that as well and will go to ranges that rent pistols first to see what she thinks and shoots well.
She handled a 44 Spl OK in a 34 oz handgun.
But I figure I could keep the 9 and get her something else if I felt she couldn't produce good triple taps.

orionengnr

I have put some +P and +P+ through my PM9, but I can't afford to run thousands of rounds of factory JHPs through it.

When I carried it I shot enough carry ammo to verify operation. Then whenever I'd take it to the range, I'd shoot some FMJ and finish up with a mag of carry ammo. Worked great for 3+ years, then I upgraded to the P45. I do the same thing with it...

OP, if you are in the DFW area and want to try it, pm me...

Duxman

But I figure I could keep the 9 and get her something else if I felt she couldn't produce good triple taps.

Aha! :)

The real truth comes out.

Let her shoot many guns until she finds one that fits her hands. That is much more important than caliber - right now.

My SO does not like recoil. The most she can handle is a 380 ACP. So I either load custom bullets for her (in 9mm), or she practices mainly in 380 and 22 LR.

rodwhaincamo

Accurate shooting always trumps, of course, but in the real world things go wrong. Even most LE agencies seem to have low hit rates from what I read on the internet:rolleyes:. And so I would prefer any advantage, however slight [or imagined?].

Duxman

Even most LE agencies seem to have low hit rates from what I read on the internet.

This is because (no offense meant to our LEO officers who are shooters) - most LEO are not shooters. They do it for work and then leave their guns in the locker or safe.

The LEO who are shooters are excellent at their craft. But majority of the ones that get into gunfights shoot enough to qualify and then that's it.

If you get yourself some quality training and some regular trigger time - you will be better off than 60% - 80% of the people that own guns.

EDIT: That being said - I really started to feel more comfortable carrying after attending my third pistol training class. After that - it was a matter of self practice. Then of course - I needed to learn rifle / carbine - so more training there........:eek: