• 9mm in a small, single-stack auto

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • 44Spl in a K-frame-like snubby

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

seeker_two

I was talking with a friend about what the next step up in power in a CCW would be for someone who wanted a round with more punch than the .38Spl but without the bark & bite of a .357Mag. We narrowed it down to the choices listed below, but we couldn’t agree on a preference…..

1. 9mm in a small, single-stack auto.

2. .44Spl in a K-frame-like snubby.

Between the two, which would you prefer? And, if you have an alternative that would fit our CCW “envelope” (K-frame-snub size & weight), feel free to name it. (personal bias warning: I kinda like revolvers, myself—but I can be swayed….)

Many thanks in advance…… :D

Last edited:

DMK

I have to admit finding the 44 special snubby very interesting.

I've been on the lookout for a 9mm J-frame (or Taurus). I have yet to see one in person though. :(

I don't know why these weren't bigger sellers. Of course, I fail to see why the 3" barreled 1911s really took off, when the 4" barreled, officer's framed CCO style is so much better. I guess I'm always going the opposite way to the current 'fad'. :rolleyes:

How about you carry a gun that is both reliable and which you shoot well?

If that's a 9mm, so be it.

If that's a .44, so be it.

PointOneSeven

If punch is what you want, there are compact 40 s&w's that might have a little more oomph than the 9mm's. But Kahr and Taurus both have compact 9mm's that meet your specs required.

I carry my .44 magnum sometimes (n-frame), now that I can use winter clothing.

Madfat

I like a 9mm, and an external hammer and safety, so I'd go with the Springfield EMP, if money isn't a problem. Double the capacity of the .44 spl in question, and plenty of stopping power, in my opinion, if you use the proper self defense loads.

Harrigan

It's personal preference time, either package as long as reliable would be a good choice for a ccw,but I get a warm fuzzy feeling from a big bore snub.:)

Ozzieman

Well

I voted for the 44.
I own a Charter arms bulldog, Taurus 455 both in 44 and a Glock 26.
I guess the question could have been which would you want, a 5 shot 45 ACP or a 9mm.
Since the 44 Special is very close to the 45acp in power you could make the same comparison.
But that was not the case here.
The other thing is that most small 9mm are not lighter than the Charter in 44 special and not as easy to conceal.
I also don’t get the “more rounds”.
Unless you’re planning on getting into a fire fight, for most civilians just caring a firearm is enough. Show me where more than a small number of rounds were needed to stop a confrontation. Unless the idiot used the spray and pray technique and fired 10 rounds and only hit the perpetrator once.
9mm is a great round that will do a lot if asked. But the 44 special is a better round in that its energy is greater.
The decision should be which fits your use and shooting abilities. 5 shots are all I need in a carry gun and I like the reliability of a wheel gun. If for some reason I think that I may need more then I carry a speed loader and I can reload a wheel gun faster than most can reload an auto.

WESHOOT2

I voted "other"

Because I have more than one hammer......

S&W 3913LS or variant.
SA EMP.
Kimber Aegis.

I suggest that any gun well-wielded will suffice.

Old John

I voted other

My normal CCW is a Ruger 2in. SP101, .357mag.
It's small. It carries easily, in a high-ride pancake holster.
It is adequate to any emergency.

In honesty, I started with a Taurus .38 special.
I went from that to a Colt Commander .45acp.
It got heavy. So i went to the little Ruger.
I also sometimes switch it out with a
Ruger 3in. GP100 .357magnum.
Heavier, one extra round, and, I shoot heavier loads.

It's all in what You Like.
Have fun.

Musketeer

My PERSONAL opinion...

9mm +P in a Firestar M43. $250 for a tack driving, all steel, single action, single stack, perfectly concealable firearm that can handle anything you throw at it.

longeyes

A double-stack Glock 26 firing Winchester 127g +P+ Ranger T at 1246fps. (That exceeds what you get from a 125g .357mag round from a 3" SP101)