9mm or 22 lr s/auto for a "Kids Gun"?

Eric Larsen

Im getting another 9mm for target/plinking/etc etc. Im getting a PCR CZ for me as Ive wanted one and they are getting harder to find.
My little shooter, 8 year old son also loves to shoot with me. I may let him shoot the PCR but thought Id throw this up for reply.
Hes a typical 8 year old boy..not a big kid by any stretch of the imagination.
I want a good gun, not to heavy, grip that will work for both of us as well as trigger length and pull. Im not the slightest worried about recoil (he shoots my K40 very well) but if I can get a gun that recoils on the lower side of the spectrum...good.
Ive thought about getting a Phoenix, Beretta or Taurus 22 lr s/auto for just shooting/plinking...may consider this also.

What are your thoughts. Shoot well

sm

I have used my 22/45 and Beretta 21A to teach/ instruct kids.

22/45 I have has 4" bbl, seems light enough without much recoil for the kids to use. Sights are such kids understand what they are supposed to do. Trigger reach seems to work for most all ages, though my 4 year niece "helps me pull the [tigger];)

At lot of times 22/45 used as a single shot, stressing gun safety, sight picture etc.

21A is handy with the tip-up bbl, sight are small, so sometimes more difficult for the kids to line up, but a blob of beeswax on front sight helps.

Trigger on 22/45 is better ( been 'smithed) and kids shoot the single action best, 'real' gun, hit better, etc.

reactive targets--neice likes the 'water balloons' :D

HTH

Best

Ledbetter

Greetings

and congratulations on your choice to be responsible for your family's protection and introduce your son to the shooting sports.

I have the following.22 pistols:

Ruger Mark II
Browning Buck Mark
Beretta 21A
Smith and Wesson 422

Of these, the one I would recommend to you is the S&W, only because it has a light weight alloy frame and thin grips for small hands. They aren't made anymore, but you can find them around.

The above four, I can vouch, are all good guns for your purpose, but the S&W is the lightest and has the lowest bore axis (barrel is close to hand, recoil is backwards, not up).

Regards.

justice4all

You can shoot a lot more .22 for the money. I bought a Ruger Single Six .22lr/.22WMR to use as an instructional handgun/inexpensive plinker.

Mike86

My 10yo son handles even the hottest .357 mags from my revolver but that doesn't mean I'd let him shoot it all day.

Given the normal situation while at the range I'd go for the .22. Ammo is dirt cheap and pleasant to shoot. One could shoot 1000 rounds of .22lr compared to 100 rounds of even the cheapest centerfire ammo. I hand my son my .22 SS rifle and let him knock himself out whenever we go. He has just as much fun with that as he does with anything else and since he doesn't flinch, cring or get bruises. I'd expect the situation to be similar with pistols.

Eric Larsen

Thanks for the replies. Im beginning to think a nice 22 in the future would be wise. If he keeps shooting my carry guns he'll be bored and want a Casull for his 12th birthday. "Dad, can I mow the lawn and wash the truck for a box of shells?"
Thanks and shoot well

Kermit

I had limited my son's shooting to just the 22's. Then he seemed to get bored. He has really become enamoured w/ my Berettas. He has actually claimed the blue one as "HIS!" :D Kinda brought a smile on my face knowing that my son picked out his first pistol :D