9mm makarov penetration

Thirties

I am not trying to start a small caliber vs large caliber discussion here, but I have an observation, and a question (with photo):

I wanted to get rid of a couple of old hard drives from an old computer ('286 vintage), and I didn't want any wise guys getting hold of my data. So, naturally, I thought of shooting them with my gun.

I was using a Vanad P-83 with S&B FMJ 9x18 ammo at about 7 yards. I was curious how far the bullets would penetrate as these things have thick aluminum housing.

Attached photo is of some of the retrieved bullets showing how they deformed. none of them went through. They got into the layers of disks and wither became embeded, or stayed in there loose until I shook them out.

Getting to my question: Are the lower energy Mak bullets less likely to pass through things, and therefore less liable to cause collateral damage than, say a 9mm luger or greater? Or will they pass through anyway.

Please understand, I'm not trying to advocate the use of 9x18 in a gunfight, etc. I'm asking a question of you who know more than I about how bullets behave. --Thanks