9mm luger case trimming

HJ857

I've read a number of posts that indicate that trimming is basically not necessary. So, just looking for a definitive answer - do I need to worry about trimming cases or will they split before needing a trim?

I'm just starting to load 9mm luger and only producing target rounds that are close to or exactly starting load specs. Using 124g fmj and WSF powder.

Thanks all.

CrustyFN

You don't need to trim straight wall pistol cases. Shoot them until you lose them or they are no good.
Rusty

Crosshair

One more vote for not trimming the 9mm. Straight wall cases that use carbine dies just don't grow enough to worry about it.

Shoney

Do 9mm Luger cases need to be trimmed? As has been clearly stated - -NO! They actually get shorter over many sucessive loadings.

Trimming of cases is primarily a rifle case proceedure. The repeated shooting and sizing of bottleneck cases will cause the brass to stretch.

Various rifle cases have min and max trim lengths listed in most loading manuals. The amount of stretch per case varies because of many factors, and therefore the number of loadings between trimming varies. Exceeding the max case length in rifles will cause either hard chambering or failure of bolt to close on the cartridge.