9mm Lee Factory Crimp Die

MP-5

What is a 9mm Lee Factory Crimp Die? Is it nessary for top accuracy in 9mm or other pistol cartridges? How does it enhance accuracy?

caz223

It doesn't really enhance accuracy.
It has a carbide ring and post sizes as it crimps.
It also crimps slightly differently than your normal taper crimp. It's less sensitive to case length, where most crimp dies crimp different length cases differently.
Once adjusted it sorta 'irons out' case bulges formed by incorrect die adjustment or incorrect application, etc.
All your 9x19 ammo will fit in all your 9x19 barrels, if you use the LEE factory crimp die to crimp.

It doesn't seat, a seperate die is required for seating.
Seating and crimping in different operations is also a very much approved procedure in progressive presses.
Using different dies to seat and crimp really would take care of most wrinkles, other than trying to seat oversized lead without belling enough or using the wrong seating stem.
If you are having these problems, then it will help you with that, but in and of itself, it won't increase accuracy.
I use 'em, I like 100% reliability. They also seem to be better for crimping plated bullets for some people.
Love 'em or hate 'em, most people will agree that ammo crimped in FC dies WILL function in your gun.

RERICK

I agree with what caz said.I use the lee fc dies with all my pistol ammo.40 cal and 38\357.They are especially helpful with cases that you would normally roll crimp when case length is critical to a consistant crimp.I highly recomend them.

JDG

Great product! Lee says you dont need them if using their dies after 1986, but seating and crimping in different stages is much easier:)

HSMITH

I have used them in 5 or 6 cartridges and found no accuracy improvement, none.

I do not use them anymore, nor do I recommend them. It is my opinion that it is a band-aid approach to a problem somewhere in the reloading process, and that if you need them you would be better served to start over and find out where the deficiency is rather than covering it up.

The one situation where I found the FCD to be better than anything else I have tried is loading autoloader bullets in revolvers, 230 FMJ in 45 Colt for instance. It will make a cannelure in the bullet nicely without wrecking the bullet or the case.